Why do 6 channel files do not sound that clear on TV stereo speakers?

Jun 13, 2013
Seems to me that if you play a file with 2 channel audio it sounds clear. With 6 channels, you sometimes cannot understand what the character is speaking. Or maybe is just my imagination.

Solution

U cannot generalize it like that, there are several variables, and one of them is, how did they MIXED it? Source materials have major impact.

For what's worth, since the switch to digital, and stations are broadcasting in DD5.1, my 5.1 speakers, specially the center have never sounded clearer or better. On movies, oftentimes they pump up the LFE too much, and I lower it from flat, and up a few decibel for the center, that's what trim on the audio control panel is for.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
its not your imagination, if u havet stereo, u wont hear voices that much, as voices arent on stereo(l/r) channel
if your tv doesnt have dolby/dts decoder then it will play what u send it, check your player for any surrond to stereo setting

boju

Distinguished
Need an avr to process those channels. Playing a multi channel sound track direct to stereo speakers / tv speakers / headphones without manipulation by the avr to force two channel stereo no matter the source output (which avr's can do by setting) will get odd audio playback and as said missing sounds including voice as said.

U cannot generalize it like that, there are several variables, and one of them is, how did they MIXED it? Source materials have major impact.

For what's worth, since the switch to digital, and stations are broadcasting in DD5.1, my 5.1 speakers, specially the center have never sounded clearer or better. On movies, oftentimes they pump up the LFE too much, and I lower it from flat, and up a few decibel for the center, that's what trim on the audio control panel is for.

Solution