Why Do Consoles Ruin Flat Screen Tv's?

Wing0

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
I remember a few years back I heard that using a console on flat screen tv's would leave a permanent picture of what the console was showing.

Why does this ruin the tv?

While I'm here, my tv got a crack in it. It's not on the outer screen, and when I turn off the tv, the crack isn't there. The tv gives off a lightshow when it's on now, only the top half besides the middle is watchable. Is it possible to fix this somehow? And what would have cracked, if the crack goes away when the tv is off?

The_fuzz_buzz

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
First, they don't just make an image from being used. You just have to worry about it being left on the same image for extended periods of time. I don't know the technical term, but it's what I call a "burn in" (I call it that because some pieces of hardware have a setting called "burn in reduction"). And the reason it does that is because as it's left on the same image, it keeps on heating and, essentially, will just kinda melt the image into the screen. That's why TV's have screen savers, because it does exactly what it says. But if the image is moving around (or just not static for long periods of time) then it will be fine.

And about the crack, that's a crack on the thing that actually gives you your image, not the plastic screen on the outside. It may be possible to fix, but only by a professional, and it'll most likely cost a pretty penny.

I'd disagree with this statement as my six year old LCD HDTV (Olevia 232T) suffers from burn-in. I haven't watched anything on TNT all day, but I can still see the after-image of the TNT logo (with the circle around it) in the lower left corner of my screen.

Additionally, while all the channels I watch are HD, not all of the shows are broadcast in HD. Some still only show with a 4:3 aspect ratio (leaving large black rectangles to the left and right of the image). After watching shows like this and changing back to a show that displays at 16:9, I can see the after image there as well.

Could be just my older TV, but burn-in is a factor with it.

-Wolf sends

The_fuzz_buzz

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

That really doesn't sound right, as I have an HD LCD monitor that I use to play games very frequently, and I suffer no burn-in effects. Honestly sounds like it might be time for a new TV.

LOL... Oh it's DEFINITELY time for a new HDTV, and as soon as I can afford to drop a several hundred on one, I will! :)
I would note that after a day or two, the burn-in image does tend to fade out and becomes far less noticeable.

-Wolf sends