Why does iphone 7 have 64 bit CPU?

whymeeeee97

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I was looking into the details of the iphone 7 and i saw they have a 64bit processer, but only 2gb of ram? this makes no sense.

whymeeeee97

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

The only way 64 bit would make a difference is if the phone applications require a lot of ram, which they dont, so it seems pointless to have a 64 bit cpu

USAFRet

Illustrious

Exactly. However...people WILL buy it based on that as one of the 'features'.

podhunter

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

So what, in your view, is the primary reason to go 64bit?

USAFRet

Illustrious

For Apple, the primary reason is to sell you a new phone.
What does this phone do better than last years phone, that can be attributed to "64bit"?

A 64bit chip can, in theory, handle a wider instruction path. Which might lead to faster operation. Which could be done with more efficient code.
But you can't put 'better code' on a data sheet.

Simple. Like going from a 4 cylinder to an 8 cylinder. Doubling a CPU data path automatically quadruples efficiency, everything else being equal.

Code... that's the other thing, NOBODY THESE DAYS, go into the trouble of hand-coding assembly instructions (the lowest level, the most efficient coding you can do, just one step writing actual 0-1's. It's all about product turn-around, short cycles, push them out the door blah-blah. Codes get fatter and fatter because increasing powerful processors allow. Compare the size of OS and you see how much room they take over the years.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

Interesting, here people talking about specs, saying the 64 bit makes no difference, bashing Apple for only using 2GB of RAM, and after all these specs talking the only important thing is performance. In this following video we can see the 1y/o Apple iPhone 6S destroying a just released Galaxy Note 7, despite having a slower processor, less RAM, and less cores it still manage to outperform the Note 7. I know many will claim this is not a real test and its not a fair comparison, to which I reply, "surely it's not fair, the samsung has much better hardware, yet the iPhone still performed better because it has better software/hardware optimization. We should care more about performance rather than specs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-61FFoJFy0&feature=youtu.be