Why does Microsoft keep the registry?

frumentiman

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Linux does not use a registry. Settings are kept in a file with the applications.The registry is always a mess and more money is spent on non Microsoft applications to fix the registry than on Windows applications. Why not keep settings in a file with the application?

Solution

Errors don't collect in the registry, yes some entries get corrupted and programs don't always delete their entries properly when removed, but the same thing can happen with configuration files. I have seen some pretty messed up text files where the contents turned into garbage characters. It would be like saying "heart attacks...
I've never "fixed" my Registry. Not I have paid for "non-Microsoft applications to fix the registry".

Windows 3.x (and before) did not use Registry, it used .INI files to keep settings inside. This became cumbersome as more and more applications wanted to store their settings in centralized way.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Earlier versions of Windows did indeed have individual .INI files for each application.
They also had individual font files, printer drivers, graphics, etc, etc, etc.

Quickly became unworkable.

Hence, a central database of all that....the Registry.

3rd party tools to fix the Registry? You're doing something wrong.
I've spent exactly $0, or ever used a 3rd party tool to "fix it".

frumentiman

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
A * answer. .INI file had a different name but it served the same purpose. You did not answer why keep the registry when there are where the errors collect. The number of programs sold to fix the registry speaks for itself. They would not exist if there was no problem.Do it like Linux. Linux runs on 99 of 100 of the largest super computers. Amazon runs on Linux. You probably don't know what Linux is.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Watch the language, please.

Programs that supposedly "fix" the registry are being sold? So what? There's a lot of snake oil being sold to the gullible.

"The number of programs sold to fix the registry speaks for itself. They would not exist if there was no problem"

That's a rather naïve way of looking at it. It's the developers of those registry fixers who have promoted the idea that they are necessary, simply to make money from those who fall for the hype & scaremongering --- "Buy our registry fixer to keep your system running smoothly and to prevent crashes" ---- Oh my God I'd better buy it then.

Errors don't collect in the registry, yes some entries get corrupted and programs don't always delete their entries properly when removed, but the same thing can happen with configuration files. I have seen some pretty messed up text files where the contents turned into garbage characters. It would be like saying "heart attacks happen in the heart, why not just get rid of it?". The reason there are issues with the registry is because it's there, just like anything that exists will have issues with it vs something that does not exist. A car has a motor, a bike does not, is the solution to remove the motor because parts of the motor break?

This is not an advantage of Linux not to have a registry.

Solution

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
please do not fall for snake oil--registry fixer programs. the registry is fine, you never have to touch or fix it. bad installers can do damage as said above, but, if you only deal with legal, reputable stuff, you typically don't have any issues over the life of the computer. well, I don't

I used to be like a lot of folks, constant fixing myself to death. I learned.

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
oh yeah, and Linux is based on ancient (Chinese secret, Calgon callout) tech. have fun in the 60s, WinNT was breed from VMS, much nicer. Win NT was considered VM+1 literally, add one to each letter = WNT

with every passing version, windows has become so much better and stable. I don't know how folks prefer linux.... sudo this and sudo that.. ugh and all the horrid commands. it's a PITA.