Why does my entire computer freezes when timing out/ lost connection to server?

trim_teh_trmin8r

Commendable
May 19, 2016
So I was playing this Free-to-Play survival sandbox RPG called Unturned. Ive been playing the game for over a year now. A few months ago, I moved and bought myself a new Dell laptop and subscribed for a 20Mbps internet service in my area. Once I returned to the game after its last update, I had to enable port-forwarding for my router in order to host my own server, after playing in the server for 5 mins, my game along with my entire computer froze due to timing out/ connection loss. I was not able to get the computer to respond for minutes causing me to force shutdown my computer.

Ironically enough, I can play resource-intensive games in online multiplayer like Warframe, Grand Theft Auto V, Killing Floor 2 without fail for hours on end. And when I do timeout, neither the game nor entire system freezes and returns me to the game screen. But it doesnt seem to be the case with Unturned. But I do admit that my current internet service is unstable. From my experience, download rate can go as low as 20Kbps for minutes with short bursts up to 4Mbps. But it doesnt explain why I can play other games just fine but Unturned especially having my entire system affected.

I have zero knowledge when it comes to internet connections and ISPs and I hope someone can help clarify things to benefit my knowledge :)

My OS is a Win 10 64-bit

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, do run Windows Update and install all the available update.
- Next is to uninstall/reinstall the Network drivers.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Network adapters.
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been uninstalled then test it again.
- If the same problem will persist proceed with doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Here's how: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- And if all these will not work I would suggest reinstalling Windows.