Question Why does my gaming laptop get to 90 degrees when playing any game?

Jul 1, 2021
Hello! I have the Dell G7 17 7700 with i7 10750H and GTX 1660 Ti. This laptop is a couple of months old but from the very start that I got it, it gets to 90 degrees when playing for no reason. Even and if I play CSGO or Surviving Mars for example it still gets there for like 10 minutes and then it drops to 70... Do you guys have any ideas? I tried undervolting it but because the processor is 10th gen I cant do it...

Jul 1, 2021
I am also using a laptop cooler but it doesn't do much since the temps go this high... I'd love to change the thermal paste but again I'll loose the warranty... I don't know what to do because this laptop won't last long with temps like this..

I am also using a laptop cooler but it doesn't do much since the temps go this high... I'd love to change the thermal paste but again I'll loose the warranty... I don't know what to do because this laptop won't last long with temps like this..

Not much to do there, many gaming laptops get up there with temps. Check with Dell support see what they say. Unless you absolutely need to travel with it, a desktop is much better for gaming use.

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
Hello! I have the Dell G7 17 7700 with i7 10750H and GTX 1660 Ti. This laptop is a couple of months old but from the very start that I got it, it gets to 90 degrees when playing for no reason. Even and if I play CSGO or Surviving Mars for example it still gets there for like 10 minutes and then it drops to 70... Do you guys have any ideas? I tried undervolting it but because the processor is 10th gen I cant do it...

Try this..its a chronic problem

Try this..its a chronic problem

While the things in the article would lower the temps, turning off turbo boost is a bit of a wasteful thing to do, since you are basically forcing the system to run slower to keep it cooler. It's like buying a car that can go 150mph but the car maker tells you "don't go past 100 or it will break".

They are also already using a laptop cooler, and opening it up to do the thermal paste may void the warranty so that has to be checked with Dell support first before doing.