Solved! Why does my yahoo messenger keep signing me out

Solution
It does sound like you might be having issues with either your network connection or your profile (Win7 profile), or even the application itself.

Have you tried to install a different version of Yahoo Messenger? Is it the most up to date?

I do think you might want to try another program like Trillian or Pidgin to test and see if it's the application (yahoo messenger) or not.

You could do something like a continuous ping to servers on the internet (start, run, cmd...at the command prompt type ping and the ip address (4.2.2.2 is a good choice)) to see if you get any drops from your network connection.

If you want to get more advanced, you could certainly use wireshark to see if there are any packets dropping as well.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
When does it sign you out? Is it when you leave your computer for awhile, or just while you are using it? What operating system are you using? Have you checked all the settings? Is your NIC dropping off temporarily? Are you sure your internet connection doesn't drop sporadically?

It seems like there are lots of reasons this could happen. We'll need more info to help.

G

I am having the same problem and it says it is because I am signed into another computer. It is really annoying especially when you are in the middle of a chat.

AndrewX5

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Will anyone ever solve this?

I still have this problem for over a year now...
I've searched many places online but found no answer.

It seems to happen on my Laptop.

Yahoo Messenger crashes after a few minutes of chatting. (or sometimes it lasts much longer)

Once it crashes, I can't sign back into Yahoo Messenger without Rebooting the Laptop, or logging out my User Profile and signing back in.

It's really annoying and inconvenient...
-Andrew

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You reported that it keeps telling you it's because you're signed in to another computer...is that possible?

Have you changed your password yet? Are you sure no one else might have access to the account?

Does it happen if you use a chat client? Trillian, pidgin, etc?

AndrewX5

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello.
I get no error saying that I'm signed in to another computer.

The problem seems to be related to internet connection somehow.

If I log out my User Profile then Log back in, then everything is working again.

This happens for me with both MSN and Yahoo Messenger actually.

So is there some setting of my Internet that is reset every time you log out then back into your Windows User account?

If someone thinks along those lines I'm sure a solution can be found.
Thanks!

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Wait a second...you log out of the computer and when you log back in, it has logged you out of your messenger accounts?

Is that what you are getting at?

If so, I'm not sure there is really a great way to keep them logged in if you log off the profile...what OS are you using?

Typically, as far as I understand, those items are tied to your Windows profile/account. When you log out, it closes programs associated with that profile/account. When you log back in, you can sign back in, but logging out typically turns items off...

Maybe you just want to lock it? If you have Win7, you could use the Switch User option to keep yourself logged in if someone else needs to use their user account.

AndrewX5

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi!
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for trying to help with the problem.

No what you mentioned is not the case at all.

Let me try to explain.

------------------------------------

1) I start up my computer.

2) Log on to my User account. (Andrew)

3) Yahoo Messenger Starts up when Windows loads

4) I start talking on Y! Messenger as usual, everything seems fine.

5) After a while the Program just freezes up and crashes.

6) I start back up Y! Messenger. When I try to Login, I get the error message saying they can't sign me in.

7) As many times as I try, I simply cannot sign back in.

8) If I log off from my User Profile (Andrew) and Log back in, then try to sign in to Yahoo, finally the program works, I can sign in Y Messenger.
(Same as if I restart the computer)

9) If it crashes again later, then it's the same cycle, I can't sign back in unless I restart or log off my user Profile.

-----

Note: If I troubleshoot the sign-in problems, they suggest that something can be wrong with my Internet Connection.

Possible problem with HTTP connection

[VIP Http] Connecting to HTTP Virtual IP server 98.136.112.142...
[VIP Http] FAILED
*** 'COMPONENT_TYPE_YCP' YCPError: 'YMSG.ColoSelectionTimeout' ***

My OS is Windows 7 on a 64-bit system.

Thanks!
-Andrew

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It does sound like you might be having issues with either your network connection or your profile (Win7 profile), or even the application itself.

Have you tried to install a different version of Yahoo Messenger? Is it the most up to date?

I do think you might want to try another program like Trillian or Pidgin to test and see if it's the application (yahoo messenger) or not.

You could do something like a continuous ping to servers on the internet (start, run, cmd...at the command prompt type ping and the ip address (4.2.2.2 is a good choice)) to see if you get any drops from your network connection.

If you want to get more advanced, you could certainly use wireshark to see if there are any packets dropping as well.

Solution