Why Google Android Will Surpass Apple AppStore, Zune Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
This seems like saying the Sunglass Hut will be even bigger than Target's eyewear department, because they will also sell other fashion accessories.

OK, so the AM will not filter content, and provides more information about the customer to the sellers. Maybe they should call it the Trojan Horse Marketplace?

G

"And, of course, there is Google’s decision to exclude the Bluetooth API from the first version of the Android platform. This may not affect every user, but at least those who like to use a wireless headset. And if you do more with Bluetooth than just using a headset, then this omission is simply not acceptable."

This only means that people won't be able to develop BT apps, it doesn't have anything to do with handsets having full BT features.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
This is just stupid but I love the idea. My point is remember the 999 dollar app in the istore or whatever its called and all it did is blink colors. This could be horrible because so many people could ripped off with no filters of any kind. they charge hundereds of dollars for nothng. What happens if a person makes a virus for the phone and spreads to whoever downloads the app. I just don't think it will work. thers no way of knowing if a application will work or not if there are no filters.

G

---
The absence of filtering mechanism could lead to all kind of junk on AM that would certainly spoil the experience for users.
---
I think junk is the least of the problems.
Security issues are much worse.

The application is able to somehow make calls? Can be real fun with the phone making its own calls to various paid sex phone numbers (I can see fancy dialer apps already... there will be aps out there that need permissions to make calls)

There has already been made application sample for iphone that compromises company security in was earlier not possible. Since the phone is world wide accessiable on the 3G network, you can for instance make it into a WIFI sniffer device on the corp network that sends you data over 3G bypassing corporate firewalls and other traditional network defenses.

leak phone numbers? Pictures from phones? Videos?
Sure all of that can occur with a virus on a PC but I think the phone makes a more predictable environment where you can target easier what you want.

I am actually all for the open market vs. apples appstore and there is no guarantee that the appstore can screen such security issues as well, but there is without doubt a bigger security, and financial (once the app starts causing data traffic and making calls), risk in googles marketplace than in apples appstore.

With apple, you might at least have some chance suing apple for a few million bucks if an application does something it should not be allowed to do :)

G

Filters? Just use common sense. It's like downloading shareware software. If some particular program has not been reviewed by editors, other websites or end users, don't download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.