Why Google Chrome May Be an Identity-Theft Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Typical. IMHO no data for passing over the internet for cloud services should leave a client without being encrypted on the client first. Of course, then Google (or any other cloud provider) wouldn't be able to read it and hence wouldn't be able to make any money out of it, so it's not surprising.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Beside that which is mentioned in the article, try this: Turn on your virus scanner firewall's learning/training mode and use Google Chrome and you'll find out how many directions Chrome's trying to send your request data in. 1st-party and 3rd-party (possibly subsidiaries of Google?).

Chrome is a mega-marketing engine.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

For some reason people don't care. I have told people this multiple times as my number one reason why I don't use Chrome, and they all say "everyone does it".

Problem is that MS and Apple have other means of income and don't make most of their money on ad revenue so they don't need to sell your info as often.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
It's common. I'm surprised they discovered this, this late.
I've been using it as a function from a long time (since syncing wasn't available once upon a time.)
For FF, it's very simple, all you have to do is copy all data from appData/local&roming/mozilla to another computer. Just configure profile.ini with correct names etc. And Voila you have all password, personal info replicated to another computer.

"Why Google Chrome May Be an Identity-Theft Risk" - because Google considers all of your data, pictures of your house, every book every published, and probably your individual DNA patterns to be grist for their advertising mills.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Is this another article from chrome haters? Instead of complaining about POTENTIAL security flaws, they should just submit them to google or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.