Why is my gaming laptop running games slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2018
When i just got my laptop it could run Battlefield 1 with max graphics at 60 fps. Now it runs battlefield 1 with lowest graphics at 12 - 42 fps! what the heck! i am pretty mad aswell that my pc runs New vegas at Ultra graphics at 30 or so fps.

device specifications

INTEL(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ 960m
2,60GHz 2,59GHz
8GB Ram (7,85 GB Usable)

64-bit based OP x64 based processor

Solution
Are you sure that's the same model number? Asus usually changes the model number when they upgrade to a new generation of CPU/GPU. Are you sure it isn't this one?
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/overview/

Because that one matches your specs and does appear to have switchable graphics, meaning you might be running off the iGPU (if things aren't switching properly) which would explain your low performance.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
I am kinda skeptical that you were every running BF1 at 1080p/60fps/max settings. Benchmarks show you should be getting maybe 30-something fps with that GPU. The 960m is similar to a desktop 750 Ti, which also gets 30-something FPS average in BF1 benchmarks.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Sorry, I missed the part where you currently have such low FPS even at low settings. That doesn't seem right. I'd try reinstalling graphics drivers. Use DDU to uninstall your current ones, and then install the latest from Nvidia's site for your GPU/operating system.

What laptop do you have? Does it have graphics switching? How have you verified that the game is using your 960M rather than iGPU?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Make sure your laptop is plugged in and fully charged, and the battery isn't near the end of it's life.

I don't know specifically about your make and model, but a lot of laptops won't run at full speed when charging the batteries, and there's nothing the user can do about it.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Are you sure that's the same model number? Asus usually changes the model number when they upgrade to a new generation of CPU/GPU. Are you sure it isn't this one?
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/overview/

Because that one matches your specs and does appear to have switchable graphics, meaning you might be running off the iGPU (if things aren't switching properly) which would explain your low performance.

Solution
Jun 6, 2018
rsh7hh.jpg

2e36447.jpg

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Pictures of the keyboard and screen doesn't really tell us anything. The model number is likely printed on the bottom of the laptop.

You can make sure that you're running off the dedicated GPU by running a monitoring program (e.g. GPU Z, hwinfo64, etc) and looking at the utilization of the GTX 960m while running a game or benchmark. It should be at or near 100%. Also, as suggested above look at max cpu/GPU temperature as well.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
What? I don't know what you're doing, but several people including myself have made suggestions, please follow those directions and report back.

Download hwinfo64, run it, (check the "sensors only" box when it launches), scroll through the list to find CPU core temperatures, and GPU temperature and utilization for the GTX 960m. Run a game or benchmark and see what the maximum values for these sensors are. Also, ensure your laptop is plugged in and charged while doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.