Why Is The Connection Between My HD Reciever And PC So Spoty?

Jan 28, 2014
I just got an app for Direct TV (Directv2PC) to watch shows from my DVR to PC. I'm running Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit. The video is not playing well at all. Do I need to refer back to Windows 7...or do I need a stronger connection?

Solution
A TV Tuner card will allow you to tune into terrestrial or cable channels on your computer. It won't relate to your Direct TV at all. Some tuner cards are capable of allowing a person to watch the encrypted cable package they subscribe to but this requires the use of a cablecard. Whether you can get one of those for this purpose from Direct TV is something you will have to ask them. Either way, a tuner will only provide you a direct television signal and antenna hookup to the PC it's installed in.

Testing your setup with a wire is only going to help if the connection between your machine and the wireless access point is the problem. If the problem is between the DVR and it's wireless access point, or a combination of yours and it's...

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
If you're using a wireless connection, try plugging in your equipment via wire and see if the situation improves. Going wireless is not always reliable enough in all situations for streaming of high bandwidth content. Comparing your Directtv2PC to online streaming doesn't count as well, as there may be little to no buffering and a higher streaming rate since it's assumed you're streaming locally.

It's also possible when using low end PC equipment that the overhead of both the network streaming and decoding of the stream is more than the computer is capable of handling. Unlikely, but possible.

Dec 26, 2013

If I purchase a high quality wireless repeater/network card for a better range, would that be good enough?

Note: the distance between my receiver and wireless connection is less than an 1/8 of a mile

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
In my experience, wireless is good for about three walls in your house before it's spotty. That you're measuring it in miles is not very reassuring. A repeater may work fine, but I personally would not bet on it. I would verify the system works at all, by a temporary wire or moving one of the units closer, before investing in more equipment.

Dec 26, 2013

Ok well I'm sorry. One factor that I didn't mention is that the router is on another floor beneath me in West and I'm in the East on the floor above in East wing connecting through my Netgear PCI card on a WEP connection which I am allowed access to. So now that you know these facts, does that make difference or not?

Dec 26, 2013
Ok just one last question...trying to do it the hard wired way (I just measured the distance from 10 times 5. About 50ft) just about. So...if I purchase a 50 ft cable ($14.92 including shipping at Walmart) and a tv tuner, what would be the most value-priced solution for a tv tuner card just so that I can test my computer? And is there anything else that I'm missing?

@Concerned, step back and start from the beginning:
- you have Wireless router
- you have DirectTV DVR. How is this DVR connected to the router - wired, or wireless? If wireless, how far?
- you have a PC you want to watch DVR with. How is that PC connected to the router?

TV tuner and cable have nothing to do with the problem you have. With TV tuner, you can watch over-the-air TV channels with appropriate antena, and appropriate software for your PC. You could probably use that TV tuner (connected with coaxial cable to DVR' TV output) to watch TV as well, but that is completely different solution to your problem. And then, how you will change channels?

Dec 26, 2013
Ok well the DVR is connected to the internet wirelesslly a whole floor beneath is where the router is. the pc is connected to the router wirelessly. Overall, I thought once I established a strong connection, that with the right tv tuner card I could change channels with the mouse or possibly some type media remote if it had some type of transmitter controlling my set top box.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
A TV Tuner card will allow you to tune into terrestrial or cable channels on your computer. It won't relate to your Direct TV at all. Some tuner cards are capable of allowing a person to watch the encrypted cable package they subscribe to but this requires the use of a cablecard. Whether you can get one of those for this purpose from Direct TV is something you will have to ask them. Either way, a tuner will only provide you a direct television signal and antenna hookup to the PC it's installed in.

Testing your setup with a wire is only going to help if the connection between your machine and the wireless access point is the problem. If the problem is between the DVR and it's wireless access point, or a combination of yours and it's, just plugging your own machine won't help a whole lot. Ideally, all connections would be via a wire.

It may be more beneficial overall if the DVR used a wired connection. If multiple users were attempting to stream a recorded program at the same time, a wire should be able to maintain enough consistent throughput to facilitate this. Also, wiring up the DVR would prevent it from hammering streaming traffic through your wireless radio on the router. Some wireless radios do not cope well with heavy wireless traffic.

Solution