why is the forward camera on my samsung tab 3 black screen, crashing

searchdog67

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
the forward facing camera on my Samsung tab 3 has a blank black screen when opened, and if I touch on the brightness adjustment or others it crashes and goes back to the app screee.
Any ideas anyone.

Solution
Well you could try restarting the device in "Safe Mode" to see if it is an app. "Safe Mode' doesn't remove or erase anything, but it does keep anything other than the original/true OS and preinstalled software and apps from running. If the problem goes away in "Safe Mode" it is most definitely an app or something else installed.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable safe mode, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe...
Question, is the camera only 'not working' when you are using a specific app? Or all the time? If only on/with a specific app, then the issue is probably in the app itself. If you recently updated that app, try uninstalling the update. If you haven't updated the offending app, see if there is an update for it.

Besides this, I would suggest you try the following...

1.) Restart the tablet and see if the problem persists?
2.) Clear the Camera app’s cache and data.
3.) Close apps running in the background. Sometimes to many can cause a bit of an overload.

If your device is still under warranty, I suggest not doing anything past here, as it would void the warranty.

4.) The next thing I would try is pulling the battery, leaving it out for a minute or so and then replacing it, to truly restart the device. Yes, I know they don't open easily, which is why you would need to be very careful, and why I said not do to if you are under warranty still.

5.) While you are in there, make sure there are no loose connections. If the connection to that camera has come even a little loose, it can cause this issue.

6. Lastly, if none of the above helps, I would suggest a "Hard Reset" of the device. BUT, before you do that, make sure you back up (to a cloud account, a computer, etc.) all your personal data on the device. Why? Because a "Hard Reset" will wipe the data.

AGAIN PLEASE NOTE: Doing this will clear the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

4. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

5. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

6. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

7. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

searchdog67

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

searchdog67

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Thank you for your suggestios.
Tried the approach of turning tablet off and back on, no help.
Cleared the cache and data for the camera app, no luck there either.
Have done a soft install of the software, strike three.
I did suspect that an app. that has access to the camera might be the issue, but so far have not been able to figure out which one.
Will try to uninstall apps at random or their updates since some apps can not be completely removed from this device.
If that should fail I will try the last resort of a hard reboot, but first have to make sure I back up all my files, apps and data.

Well you could try restarting the device in "Safe Mode" to see if it is an app. "Safe Mode' doesn't remove or erase anything, but it does keep anything other than the original/true OS and preinstalled software and apps from running. If the problem goes away in "Safe Mode" it is most definitely an app or something else installed.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable safe mode, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: Off" rather than On.

Solution