Why Smart Clothing Will Kill the Fitness Tracker Wristband

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"Why wear an extra piece of equipment, and a geeky one at that, if you can get something that's already built into your clothing?"

Because clothes wear out. No one is going to pay $100's for a t-shirt that lasts just as long as a $5 one. Oh wait. Forget everything I just said.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If the cost isn't all in the dongle, such that replacement garments are little more expensive than "regular" ones, this will go nowhere.
Are we so out of touch with our own bodies that we need something like this? How long before our phones will call to tell us we need to pass waste?

dovah-chan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Oh tom's guide I love you with your controversial titles. In my opinion what sort of athlete would really need this? I guess if you're going to the Olympics maybe all this info would come in handy but most of it seems to come play in a medical scenario.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Unlikely. A properly designed fitness band can be worn with any style of clothing so people can keep the way they like to dress, instead of having to tailor their own looks to the manufacturers that make these items. Please notice I did say properly designed, because some companies sure can put out ugly technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.