Why the iPhone is Crippled on Verizon's Network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ultradodger[/nom]Why the iphone is crippled on At&t............... it's At&t. Seriously is this article implying that AT&T is in any way better suited for the iphone? Grossly over priced plans, sub-par service, and sub-par coverage. All for a premium price. Oh wait! You can call and check your email at the same time. That makes it worth it. *rolls eyes*[/citation]

Sure sure not being able to check email while talking is a minor inconvenience, however, I could really use this feature when on call for work. Using VNC to remote into my work pc while talking to a user would set me free from having to be near a pc/office when i'm on call. Honestly that's only one of 10 or so uses I could come up with for this feature just for work related tasks, never mind things i would do just for kicks.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I've owned phones here and at my office using Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T (no t-moble...) I can live with the "no data and voice at the same time" limits of current-generation CDMA if it also means I won't have the crappy TDMA (er, GSM) signal that I get here on AT&Ts network.

G

I do not believe this article for a second. I am a long time verizon user ( have a droid X) and have first hand disproved the stated crippling effect. I have been on the phone driving while having my gps talk me through downtown Houston. No wifi available, just plain old 3G.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It does happen every now and then where I am on a call and I need to look at an email that was sent to me or check if one was sent, or look up directions for someone, or get a phone number for someone of a business, so it does happen, maybe Im the only one that utilizes this feature...

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If you live in Wyoming like I do then good luck getting an AT&T signal if you're not right in the middle of a city. As long as Verizon has the better rural coverage then I'll be sticking with them no matter if they can't do talk and data at the same time. Doesn't make a difference if you can't do either one at all.

Also, no iPhone for me until I see what the iPhone 5 has this summer. It'll be hard to pass up a dual-core droid if the new iPhone isn't dual-core as well.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
All cell phone companies suck... and it varies from place to place.

I've gotten good results with my Android phone with at&t and *I* do use voice and data at the same time.

Thilindi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I have noticed a startling run of stories. A large number of "tech" sites and "tech" blogs are coming out with the same arguments for people not to buy a Verizon branded iPhone. Its a pretty constant message of, "Its crippled if it can't do simultaneous voice and data," and, "AT&T has HSPA! I need the speed!"

I am curious, since they are stating this now, at the same time, with the same message... Is AT&T paying these sites to publish this? Is AT&T guaranteeing ad's on these sites/blogs in exchange for these opinions?

The irony is that consumers and consumer sites should be happy that Big Red finally launched this thing. It means there is a choice for those with the need to be iBranded. Choice means both carriers have to step up their game/pricing in order to win the consumer dollar.

awii

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
A few weeks ago there was an article about how the iPhone would cripple Verizon's network with increased data traffic. Now there is an article about how Verizon's network crippled the iPhone. The important question, given Verizon's past behavior, is: How Will Verizon Cripple the iPhone's Features?

sudz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
How is the iPhone cripping toms guide? The number of useless news bits regarding the iPhone is redonkulous. Give it up already Toms... Its half baked hardware that sucks a lot of data. We KNOW already.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
[citation][nom]shineon2010[/nom]This spam is getting old.[/citation]

really? i guess i'm the only one who comes here to get the best deals on cheap chinese knock-offs

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Lies.My Verizon Android phone does simultaneous voice and data perfectly. I've done it before. I've had someone on speakerphone while operating Google Maps to give them directions. Flawless. This claim being made against Verizon is absolutely false. It is, indeed, only the iPhone that is crippled. But then again, as everybody knows, the iPhone is crippled by definition.[/citation]
You are 100% wrong. No current CDMA phone on Verizon is capable of using the CELLULAR NETWORK for voice and data at the same time, as the channel is completely used by the voice call leaving no bandwidth available for a data session. Must have been on Wifi dude. That being said, on to the topic: I'd like to see a poll done of who actually uses the data/voice at the same time in life. Frankly its a non issue, and for AT&T's idiocracy and crap servicejavascript:%20void(0); in my area, even if I did use it, its worth it to give it up to use Verizon.
And Toms: Way to be dramatic. Crippled is far from what i'd use to describe this particular problem. In fact, problem is NOT what I'd use to describe it.

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
You know I have to agree with most on here, who needs email and talking at the same time.

What's interesting is how they say you cannot be online and use your internet at the same time yet I had someone on speakerphone on my Droid X and was browsing through apps and websites at the same time. No Wifi was being used fyi. I like my X but that's going away come May when I get the Bionic or whatever is better at that point.

G

lol, iphone is crippled because it cant do something nobody ever does anyway. How much did ATT pay you for that one Toms? Shameless....

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Actually, sadly, no... they are right. Your phone did not have a data connection (unless you were connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.) What probably happened was Google maps had the map you needed in it's cache and new data wasn't even necessary.[/citation]

In my case there was no WiFi connection for miles around. (grass farm just south of Houston) I was talking on the phone and was able to remotely make changes through a citrix app at work over 80 miles away. The user could see the changes take hold as well. It is obvious that voice and data are working simultaneously in some areas. I have done this several times over the past year and even if it was no longer available I would hardly call it crippling to a network. Make the changes/check you email and then call them back.

Not having decent 3G coverage is a different story.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Let me try to respond to the Verizon fanboys expressing themselves as AT&T haters in a similar style to their comments and, I hope, at a similar level, which will allow their understanding: Verizon service is poo-poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.