Why the Verizon iPhone is a Big Deal For AT&T

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Verizon isn't exactly cheap. I will not be getting any smart phone until the monthly price for phone, texting, and data is less than $60 a month. Verizon's cuurent plans are $90+ for this. Even if I get rid of my wired phone, it is way too much, and it can't replace my broadband access.

Am I alone in wondering why so many people are willing to pay so much for a toy?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I didn't know it cost $115 for text/call/2GB with AT&T. And I thought it we had it bad in Canada with Rogers.[/citation]
It doesn't cost $115 at AT&T, it's just another 'amazing fact' that make the article read well. It's just like the 'terrible' AT&T service (a very _popular_ comment among the disgruntled)

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
well i have 2 phones with 2GB data and unlimited text and 2 more phones that only have call and text no data and the 4 of them run $150. But it could be $115 for one phone with 2GB data unlimited text and a crazy amount of min. that you could never use lol.

G

Bad article. It's full of biased opinions and unsubstantiated claims.Expected better from Tom's.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This is a good thing. The only large problem I still have with verizon is the exclusivity of data and voice simultaneously. If they enable their network to have the same capacity and capability as the AT&T network, but with better options and pricing, that'd be great. (Not just for the iPhone either, as I am not interested, but for all smart phones that should be able to multitask concurrent data connections.)

Remember that commercial with the guy checking something online while on speakerphone with someone? You can still do that on AT&T's network.

I frequently tether my smart phone and appreciate being able to be on a voice call at the same time.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Very intesting article, although I get the feeling it is indeed a tad biased to your opinion. Then again, I get the feeling that most people here have something against unfair companies like AT&T and Apple, so the subtle in article bashing is ok. I liked it TBH. Good for consumers, loads more competition. Eagerly waiting for AT&T to get f*****d over, although I dislike the idea that this will help apple. For consumers though, this can only be a good thing.Im unnaffected however, live on the other side of the planet, where companies don't f**k you over like AT&T does. Got 4GB data with NO SPEED CAP, and with a impressive network infrastructure here, I pull through a good 800KB/s. Costs me $25 for the data alone. Oh, and legally allowed to tether with anything I want, and use the connection for anything a want. To conclude, DIE AT&T[/citation]

Envious, right here. That's pretty much everything I want. Luckily I still have a windows mobile 6.5 phone, not the gimped new windows phone 7. Despite frequent non-permanent glitches with software on my Tilt 2, I'm extremely pleased with it's capabilities. Overall the AT&T data network is pretty robust (was even moreso before the iPhone flood, back when it was Cingular with better cost and plans).

However, without innovation and options, I will be switching to the most capable, hardware-feature-rich Android powered phone when my cycle ends.

I will likely be sticking with AT&T when they're forced to improve their service and contracts due to competition, as I still have a grandfathered unlimited phone and data plan from Cingular!

Status
Not open for further replies.