Why was TrueCrypt Discontinued

Solution

Just use Diskcryptor. They split from Truecrypt a while back and it's still fully supported with documentation / ect.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Did you read that was the reason? I donated to them years ago..
I even bought WinZip years ago because I used it free so long *chuckle*

USAFRet

Illustrious

"On 28 May 2014, the TrueCrypt website announced that the project was no longer maintained and recommended users to find alternative solutions. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt#End_of_life_and_license_version_3.1

The developers could no longer apply the time (money) to keep it running.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
No one knows, and it's likely we will never know. The audit of truecrypt did not show any major flaws or backdoors. As far as I've seen no reason not to trust it. Lots of clones out there based off the truecrypt source.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Aaah so, this does not mean that anyone has cracked TrueCypt... That is my concern...
And if Wikipedia says it has been cracked, then I honestly doubt it has.
I do not trust Wikipedia for reliable info beyond the obvious.

They give a warning here claiming it is not secure:
http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Exactly! Then they tell everyone to migrate to Bitlocker "Yeah right..."
Here is the latest working release for any that does want it?

[Link removed sorry don't really know your source.]
NP.. Any could search the name and find it elsewhere if they are hard up I suppose.
TrueCrypt Setup 7.1a.rar

rgd1101

Don't

That the issue, people might donate it one time. then what? the developers stop eating?

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Yeah.. They stop eating! tff
They need to find an alt income I reckon because, I cannot afford to put them on payroll.

I was only wondering if any had heard more about it other than what they are saying on the site.
Because I heard it was bought out by umm, "the spooks" because they could not crack it telling all to migrate to Bitlocker..

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Some people have thought their message might have been a "canary", but I don't think so. You've read the truecrypt audit right? They didn't find any major problems with it.

The developers tried to remain anonymous, and I think they saw the writing on the wall. Look what the government is doing with Apple. I don't think they wanted any part of dealing with the hassles of dealing with random government organizations trying to pressure them to exploit a back door that doesn't exist.

I don't think it's been cracked, at least not without some sort of brute-force method, which would take a lot of computing power and time. Government organizations don't have time or money to throw at some random criminal's truecrypt drive so it's "un-crackable" in these cases. If your drive contained a matter of national security, they'd dedicate the resources it took to get into it.

Truecrypt lists some caveats in their files that would weaken the encryption, but barring those, it's pretty much going to take a brute force method at this point. With a good password, brute force would still take a very long time.

USAFRet

Illustrious

An "alt income" would require that they devote time to whomever is providing that "alt income".
Meaning no time to devote to TrueCrypt. There are only so many hours in a day.

"Because I heard..."
People say all sorts of conspiracy junk. I'm quite sure, if I looked around, I could find some text stating that TrueCrypt and BitLocker were built by the same entity...aliens that visited Bill G, the TC devs, and Zombie Steve Jobs.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

That is what I think as well..
They did not build that Utah massive database center for nothing.
imho.. It is not that they are looking for terrorist n such but, they want everything indexed and categorized on everyone.

If brute force is the only way.. I think I might be safe.

Capture_zpshqwcvwjw.jpg

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

They've been reading our mail for decades and are only now trying to make it legal to do so. I firmly believe they are trying to prevent any from having a means of securing personal information and want free rein. Most of the people at the "helm" are complete sociopaths.

"It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen."
- George MacDonald

My Ex's brother (ret) was in 1998 2 Star General Head of Army Logistics. A Master Mason, Yale, Harvard, and Army War college grad. with Pentagon office. We spent 2wks at his home (Mansion) in Shenandoah, Va. with his Lt. Col. Wife in 98'.

The things he told me then changed my life. Extremely profound information.. Many are still considered "Rubber Room" material. I will say this.. Nothing is as it seems.. And History is a complete lie!

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot
believe it exists. The American mind simply has not come to a realization of the evil which has been
introduced into our midst. It rejects even the assumption that human creatures could espouse a
philosophy which must ultimately destroy all that is good and decent."
- J. Edgar Hoover

Respectfully,...

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

*Warning, about to go off-topic*

Honestly Truecrypt, and other attempts to "stay off the grid" probably only result in you getting looked at more.

- Lets say you run custom software on your phone to block out things you don't want, and eliminate tracking.
- Use Truecrypt, perhaps you even use Linux.
- Don't participate in social networks.
- Give out fake information at stores to get their club cards for savings so you won't get hassled (lets you know who sold your information).
- Use Google voice to avoid giving out your real number (or use a fake number entirely).
- Own guns.

Obviously you don't fit the norm. Now lets say someone behind a desk is paid to find people who don't fit the norm, as they maybe doing something illegal. Just by trying to stay off the grid, you may have placed yourself on the grid more than ever.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Not owned a Cell Phone in years..
I definitely see your point. I simply do not like the position of those that think it is okay. With the attitude of.. "Well, if you have nothing to hide" approach..
It is not like I am plotting some heinous act. Personal information is and should always remain personal via 4th Amendment.

Reading stuff like the below. It is hard NOT to admit that.. "Something is very wrong!"

<<Off topic link removed by moderator.>>

Politics is upsetting and the wrong place for this medium..

..Off soap box :)

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
This discussion needs to remember the policy against GRAPES topics. I suspect it would be safest to keep to direct answers of the OP's question that have some basis in fact (if there are any), or perhaps suggestions of replacements that are at least as strong.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I do not know how much more clear it could be than posting official government documents. Maybe if you heard it from Fox News you'd think it true? Forget I even mentioned anything. lol
I enjoy reading and posting here and getting up to date with all the current gizmos..

Respectfully, Leda

Ignorance is bliss..

Everything%20is%20not%20okay_zpswbiyrjum.jpg

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

Just use Diskcryptor. They split from Truecrypt a while back and it's still fully supported with documentation / ect.

Solution
I saw this and just ran to the kitchen and put some new alfoil on my head so I would fit in and had to immediately take it off as we haz lightning and storms here tonight.

"They" are trying to keep me away from this thread ... when I have important news to ... dammit ... someone is at the door ... I will be right back.