Wi-Fi 2 greyed out

Ainewen

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have a windows 8 Dell inspiron 3537 and I can't turn on the wifi.

We had an electrical storm which killed my old router and I'm not sure if it damaged the laptop or not. I want to exhaust all options before giving it to Dell for 3 weeks as we use it to run our business.

I have a spare router which works fine by cable (for our tv) and via wireless (for my tablet)

On the laptop, Airplane mode is turned off, but my wifi 2 and Bluetooth are still both greyed out.

It's nothing to do with the fn and f2 keys, they don't help.

I've looked in bios and cannot even locate a wireless enable/disable option which other threads have mentioned

If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Leie

Ainewen

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I can't see either in the device manager, if they are in a drop down can you confirm where they should appear so I can double check?

Ainewen

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

There is a drop down for network adapter and under that is Dell wireless and I can confirm the drivers are up to date and it is enabled.

AaRe3

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
I hope I'm not to late on this...I have/had the same issue with my Dell Inspiron early on, I was able to temporarily fix the issue by using the troubleshooting the application.

Click the windows button and search "troubleshooting" and open the application>Under "Network and internet" click "connect to internet" button, then go through the wizard process to troubleshoot your internet connections where at the end the troubleshooter automatically turns off airplane mode connects to your existing wifi.

In my experience this is only a temporary fix, the computer will still lock on airplane mode if the wifi setting are touched from any of the menu options, but the wizard process will restore it.

I hope this helps...