Question Wi-Fi USB Tethering stopped working. Other phones tested, works on othe computers.

May 15, 2022
Hello!

I've got a computer with wi-fi but it's in the corner on the house so the signal isn't great. BUT, in my phone the signal is strong and I get full speeds.
So, when I want to download something or stream I usually connect my phone and turn on USB tethering as it is much faster.

Today it stopped working. I can activate in the smartphone, it makes the connection sound on windows, but then nothing happens. I've tried different usb ports, I've tried with two other phones, nothing works.
I've also tried the phones in my laptop and the usb tethering worked right away.

Any suggestions? Id really appreciate some help.

May 15, 2022
First and foremost, turn it off and then turn it on again.

Good habit to get into.

Secondly, make sure you remove all lingering devices, try out Device Cleanup Tool.

I use tethering every day, because my apartment wifi is slow and crap, 5G is much faster.

https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_cleanup_tool.html

Thanks for the help but unfortunately nothing help.
First thing I did was turn it off and then turn it on, a couple of times, nothing worked.
I pretty much deleted everything using Device Cleanup Tool but didn't resolve the problem as well.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Thanks for the help but unfortunately nothing help.
First thing I did was turn it off and then turn it on, a couple of times, nothing worked.
I pretty much deleted everything using Device Cleanup Tool but didn't resolve the problem as well.

Did you restart the phone as well? Try different USB ports?

Try a USB 2.0 port, instead of a USB 3.0 port.

I've been using tethering for 3+ years now, never had this issue. Maybe a Windows update broke something?

If you have Windows Restore enabled, try reverting to a previous point in time when the tethering still worked.

Maybe antivirus is blocking RNDIS device.

I use both MOTO E 2020 and MOTO RAZR 5G 2020. I've used MOTO E5 Play in the past and even HTC MyTouch 4G Slide.

May 15, 2022
Did you restart the phone as well? Try different USB ports?

Try a USB 2.0 port, instead of a USB 3.0 port.

I've been using tethering for 3+ years now, never had this issue. Maybe a Windows update broke something?

If you have Windows Restore enabled, try reverting to a previous point in time when the tethering still worked.

Maybe antivirus is blocking RNDIS device.

I use both MOTO E 2020 and MOTO RAZR 5G 2020. I've used MOTO E5 Play in the past and even HTC MyTouch 4G Slide.
Yap, restarted everything multiple times.
No Windows Restore so maybe my last resort is to give it a reset.

Also, any idea my smartphone in the same spot as the wi-fi antenas gets full speeds (195mbps down & 102mbps up) and the computer only 26.49Mbps down and 32.98 Mbps up? The wi-fi antennas alone are the size of my phone.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Yap, restarted everything multiple times.
No Windows Restore so maybe my last resort is to give it a reset.

Also, any idea my smartphone in the same spot as the wi-fi antenas gets full speeds (195mbps down & 102mbps up) and the computer only 26.49Mbps down and 32.98 Mbps up? The wi-fi antennas alone are the size of my phone.

There is a lot of complicated maths involved with antennae reception, impedance, etc. Modern phones generally have quite good antennaes. Cheap wifi antennae only h ave to be "good enough".

Your best bet is just to get a really long Ethernet cable or move the router to a more central location within the building.

26 and 32 really aren't terrible, when I first moved to the US 15 years ago my best was 8mbps even though 54mbps was typical.