Wii Price Cut Peeped in Leaked TRU Ad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Even at $200, it's an overpriced peice of shit.[/citation]

Apparently, everyone else in the world thinks differently since day 1 when the Wii came out. So now explain why the Wii is still the #1 selling console???

??????????????????????

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
anamaniac : I swore i'd never get a wii... but it seems that they seem to be easily modded to play downloaded games, emulators, etc.

I started my wii quest because of Final Fantasy 4 : The after years... the sequal to my all time favorite game! luckily i'm able to play it via dolphin on my pc but i'd rather be playing on my tv set w\ a wii.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom] 25+ years of experience, the #1 console (50+ million Wiis sold), and the #1 handheld (over 100+ million DSs sold), are success under any terms. Whether or not the Wii directly competes with the 360 and PS3 is meaningless.[/citation]

The simple fact is, that it should not even count as a console. Not when what you say is that it isn't trying to go against the PS3 or 360. It simply isn't the same kind of thing. You don't compare motorcycles to cars and claim one as best. It's a toy for non-gamers. Even when gamers have them its with a 360, PS3 or both. That isn't competing.

Even the DS, when it first came out it was great. Best kind of portable gaming there could be: all sorts of new stuff like touch screen and whatnot. Now we're on like the third kind of DS, and all it did was lose GBA functionality and added a crappy phone that we all already have in our cell phones. Even the PSP is kinda old now, and I expect better games out of the ZuneHD and even the new iTouch. And those were supposed to be just MP3 players!

G

Overpriced or not, people buy it (not me, I want it cheap or i'll stick to my PC). If people buy it, it means the market considers it a reasonable price. From the business side of it, it's only logical not to lower the price to please competition fanboys, it's not their target anyway.

What makes me laugh is those people that diss the Wii in favour of a PS3 or XBox claiming they want 'quality'... well if you are "willing to pay top dollar for top quality" you should buy a pc, wich also you can upgrade periodically. Oh, wait. you're not that bright :-s

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
when the president of nintendo, satoru iwata, says there won't be a price drop, it usually means there won't be a price drop. this price drop isn't an official nintendo announcement but rather a drop of price that the store is undergoing themselves.

G

'Tis a wee, err Wii, price cut indeed, laddie XD Actually, $50 less isn't that bad. However, you've still spent over $600 once you've bought all the controllers and a handful of games. A price cut on the accessories would be nice.

To all of you who bash the Wii for being too 'kiddie' and underpowered: Quite frankly I like those so-called 'kiddie' games. The whole reason I bought a Wii was to play Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, etc. Those types of games are fun. I even still play the old NES/SNES/N64 Nintendo-brand games. When you get down to it, Nintendo knows how to make good games.

When I'm in the mood for violence, gore, and other more mature material, I switch to my PC. That's the way it's always been for me.

As for the Wii's specs - yeah, it would be nice to have at least 720p and 5.1 digital audio, but short of watching DVDs, it wouldn't serve much purpose. The games that I use the Wii for would hardly benefit from such enhancements. Also, as someone else mentioned, it's great for homebrew. I'll take a well-made game over pretty graphics any day.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]The simple fact is, that it should not even count as a console. Not when what you say is that it isn't trying to go against the PS3 or 360. It simply isn't the same kind of thing. You don't compare motorcycles to cars and claim one as best. It's a toy for non-gamers.[/citation]

Last I checked, the Wii is used only for playing video games. By definition it is for gamers. Non-gamers (people who do not play games) would never use the Wii! If anything, Xbox 360 and PS3 can be considered toys for non-gamers, since they do other things besides video games such as play DVDs and/or Blu-Ray discs.

So is the Atari not for gamers? Or the Super Nintendo? Or N64? Or PS2? Or Xbox? So just because their graphics aren't as good as the PS3 or Xbox 360 that means they aren't game consoles, and therefore can't be used by gamers?

The vast majority of those who have been bashing the Wii have forgotten the whole point of gaming: to relax and have some fun. Not in HD? Who cares!? I think it is sad when we define our level of fun based around how many fps we get or how high our resolution is. Microsoft and Sony completely forgot about that, and that is why the Wii is vastly out selling both consoles.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]Not in HD? Who cares!? I think it is sad when we define our level of fun based around how many fps we get or how high our resolution is. Microsoft and Sony completely forgot about that, and that is why the Wii is vastly out selling both consoles.[/citation]

And this is EXACTLY why Crysis didn't sell that well either!

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]^Well I call ignorance.What do you say r3t4rd? Is there another reson for this?[/citation]

I would have to concur. I get a lot of dirty disc errors with my wii lately and I barely ever have even played it. To me, out of any console I have ever owned, Wii is by far the worst and that is going below my first xbox360 which did the RROD. Nintendo needs to step up the game and stop shoveling low-end garbage at the public. All Nintendo does is makes billions of dollars and doesn't really innovate on technology. And what argument against that, the motion sensors? There's plenty of devices out there that have motion sensors including the dualshock 3.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]By definition it is for gamers.[/citation]

No. It is for generally non-gamers to play wii sports and wii fit. The "casual gamers" ones who the like the controls which you can just waggle it around and not use it like you're supposed to. Believe it or not I don't even care about the graphics on it. I still go back and play Dreamcast games that I hadn't played yet. What I dislike is that it's artificially number 1 because all kinds of people buy it then proceed to not get any other games for it. I dislike it for the kinds of games it has that are all over the place. I dislike the controls that DO NOT work like they were supposed to to begin with, and they only "might" now that they released a add-on to restore the functionality that we were sold on in the first place.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]No. It is for generally non-gamers to play wii sports and wii fit. The "casual gamers" ones who the like the controls which you can just waggle it around and not use it like you're supposed to. Believe it or not I don't even care about the graphics on it. I still go back and play Dreamcast games that I hadn't played yet. What I dislike is that it's artificially number 1 because all kinds of people buy it then proceed to not get any other games for it. I dislike it for the kinds of games it has that are all over the place. I dislike the controls that DO NOT work like they were supposed to to begin with, and they only "might" now that they released a add-on to restore the functionality that we were sold on in the first place.[/citation]

I always have thought that someone who plays video games is a "gamer", regardless of how intense a game is. What I think you mean is that generally people who are really into in-depth gaming with huge maps, levels, character development, back story, etc. will shy away from the Wii. However, some (like myself), like both. It's a totally different type of game, and I find it every bit enjoyable.

You are totally wrong about people not getting multiple games for their Wii. The has sold the most games per console than the Xbox 360 and PS3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

I have no idea about controls that do not work. I own six different games for the Wii, not including downloaded games. The controls work great for all of them.

No one is saying that the Wii is the #1 console. It really all depends on what you are looking for.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]The Xbox 360 is just a total flop: High failure rate, no unique and worthwhile games, graphics are terrible compared to what's available on a PC.[/citation]
Hard to call the second most successful console of this generation a flop, regardless of its problems. In fact, I wouldn't really call even the PS3 a flop despite it having the lowest sales of the big three. They're all selling well, and they'd only be a flop if they didn't. You can have a great product, but it'll be a flop if the sales fall through.

[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]The simple fact is, that it should not even count as a console. Not when what you say is that it isn't trying to go against the PS3 or 360. It simply isn't the same kind of thing. You don't compare motorcycles to cars and claim one as best. It's a toy for non-gamers. [/citation]
Well, let me check my identification guide:
1) Plays video games? Check and double-check.
2) Backwards-compatible with almost all the previous Nintendo consoles? Check.
3) Compatible with a lot of their competitors' consoles? Wow, check there too!
2) PC? Nope.
3) Media player? Barely.

Looks like a console to me. :) In fact I'd say it's more of a video game console than any of the others if push came to shove: it not only plays its own big library of videogames, it also plays games from Nintendo's biggest selling machines in the past, AND games for other systems like the Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, even computer games from the Commodore 64. It won't play your HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray movies, but since when does that determine whether something's a video game console or not?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
@njalterio

That's exactly what I was getting at. There's plenty of cooking and other gimmicky stuff that has nothing to do with anything.

As for the sales I remember stuff saying Wiis don't have as high as an attach rate as the other two. That'd take some looking around so ...

About the controls, really? They were totally acting like you could swordfight opponents in game, just like you might with a friend in real life - in total control of where it goes. Then Red Steel comes out, the sword has nearly nothing to do with what you're doing on the controller. And in fact it was found that you could just shake it some and it would give you complete swings. Warioware for the Wii was also found that instead of doing the actions it wanted you could just be shaken a bit as well. And those were just a few that I actually played on a friend's Wii. I know the great majority if not all of them are like that. Besides Wii MotionPlus the add-on that supposedly lets us do what they were selling us on when they were launching the console.

hack__you

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I would have to concur. I get a lot of dirty disc errors with my wii lately and I barely ever have even played it. To me, out of any console I have ever owned, Wii is by far the worst and that is going below my first xbox360 which did the RROD. Nintendo needs to step up the game and stop shoveling low-end garbage at the public. All Nintendo does is makes billions of dollars and doesn't really innovate on technology. And what argument against that, the motion sensors? There's plenty of devices out there that have motion sensors including the dualshock 3.[/citation]

LOL. Everyone knows why dualshock 3 has motion sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.