Will a audio output to microphone input work?

frazle

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
I am looking to get a wireless headset but this means getting a usb headset so i was wondering if i would be able to take the output from another device (my tv or phone with a 3.5mm audio jack) have it run through the microphone jack (by a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm cable) on my desktop computer and back out by a program to my headset so i could use the headset for any device with an audio jack but would the audio from the device to the microphone jack work?

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
The microphone input on the PC might not handle a headphone out from your phone or TV - if it does then it will sound rubbish.

This solution also would mean you have to power up the PC for whatever source your want to listen to. Here is a better solution:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aux+switch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Kx6bVMzIOpHTaPzVgbgF#q=rca+switch

Get an RCA switch. There is 1 output and multiple inputs. Connect all the devices you want to use to the inputs - phone, tablet, pc and then connect the output to your wireless headphones. You will need a few RCA (white/red) to jack cables.

Then just hit the switch for whatever device you want to use. There is no power adapter required. Simple and quick.