Will Comodo Free Firewall install along with Avira Free Antivirus on Windows 8 PRO 64?

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
The last time I tried, it didn't. I could install them both (ignoring the incompatibility warning) and they would work for a few days (a few Avira updates), but then Avira's real-time protection would stop, and the option to turn it on would be disabled on the tray icon right click menu.
On opening Avira, it would say something about the service not running.
And I could not start the service in services.msc, it would say 'windows failed to start this service' or something like that.
Uninstalling/re-installing Avira would solve the issue, but it would re-appear after a few days.
I finally gave up on Avira and started using Windows Defender with Comodo Firewall. Not that this has caused an infection, but I've been using Avira for so long, probably since the Windows 2000 era, and I want to get Avira again.
It's been 6 months, so my question to you geeks, has this problem been solved?
The computer is a Win8 Pro x64 (fully updated with windows updates), Intel i3-2310M@2.10GHz, 8GB DDR3.
Security software currently installed:-
1>Windows Defender (turned ON).
2>Comodo Firewall 6.3.294583.2937, only basic firewall turned ON in "custom policy" mode, everything else like HIPS & Auto-Sandbox turned OFF.
3>Windows Firewall (turned OFF in control panel)

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014

Thanks Anonymous1, but i'm not installing 2 AVs, one's an AV and the other's a Firewall. I didn't install the "comodo Internet Security", just the "Comodo Firewall".

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
If all you're installing is the Comodo Firewall, and you are running Avira's antivirus only, then I see no problem with that. I do know some AV software has extras that act as/are firewalls, so just be careful when installing both. If Avira has an integrated firewall system, that could very well be causing a problem; this might be fixable in the settings for Comodo, but I'd really have to be looking at your computer to know what is actually happening.

It sounds like Avira has a problem with keeping its service in the Windows service library; which is interesting. Have you talked to Avira about this? You might want to keep a close eye on the next Avira install, and then hawk over the services to see what happens. Since Avira will have its own services installed, you can see if any services go missing, or if they simply are messed with, when you have a problem again. There will likely be multiple services installed for Avira, and either one could go missing, become corrupt, or a who knows. Definitely need a lot more information on this.

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014

Thanks Skylyne,
Well I've installed Avira free again, and got that incompatibility warning while installing.. Seems to be working for the time being, the 3 services Avira installed are>>
1> Avira Real Time Protection // Running // Automatic // Local System
2> Avira Scheduler // Running // Automatic // Local System
3> Avira Service Host // Running // Automatic // Local System.
There are two Comodo services >>
1> Comodo Internet Security Helper Service // Running // Automatic // Local System
2> Comodo Virtual Service Manager // -- // Manual // Local System.

We'll wait till Avira stops working and I'll check the services again. Thanks for your reply :)

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey, whatever I can do to help out.

I will say that Comodo does have a decent reputation for false positives with their AV side of things, so I'm not entirely sure if it creates a similar problem with their Firewall stopping certain AV software from working. Since I don't know which order you installed things in, and if there are any remnants of previous AV software on your computer, it could be a myriad of things causing this problem. It's all thanks to the way the AV software works, and how sensitive your firewall settings are.

But yes, let me know if/when Avira stops working, and I'll see what I can gather from the services and your story of what happened. Troubleshooting this kind of problem does get tricky.