Will I damage my laptop or laptop charger if I plugged it into a low voltage outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dA_HarV

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Sorry for the weird title, did not know how else to word it

Anyways I am going on a charter bus for a trip, and the charter bus does have outlets, so I am bringing my laptop, supposedly the outlets are normal voltage. What I was thinking is bringing a splitter so I can have 3 devices charging at the same time.

What I am concerned about though is that the voltage would drop due to the other devices charging at the same time as my laptop. On my charger it says 100-240V, so what would happen if the voltage dropped below 100? Would that damage my laptop charger or worse my laptop itself?

Solution
The voltage at the wall sockets does not drop simply because more devices are plugged in to it.

The worst that could happen is a fuse would blow on the distribution board if a socket is overloaded, rendering the socket dead, but overloading certainly wouldn't happen if several charging units are plugged in to it. Such devices only draw a small current. You'll be quite alright using a 3-way charging adapter.

You would have to plug two electric kettles in to the same socket (and switch both of them on) to blow a ring-main fuse which protects the feed cable to the sockets.

The voltage at the wall sockets does not drop simply because more devices are plugged in to it.

The worst that could happen is a fuse would blow on the distribution board if a socket is overloaded, rendering the socket dead, but overloading certainly wouldn't happen if several charging units are plugged in to it. Such devices only draw a small current. You'll be quite alright using a 3-way charging adapter.

You would have to plug two electric kettles in to the same socket (and switch both of them on) to blow a ring-main fuse which protects the feed cable to the sockets.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.