Will I see a performance difference running an i7-4500U vs an i7-4700MQ/HQ?

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014
I'm planning on purchasing a high performance multimedia laptop for college, and one of my requirements is that it has a touch screen, which severely limits the amount of laptops with full wattage i7s available to me. I also know low wattage ultrabooks generally have a longer battery life and are thinner, so I'd like to know if it would really matter if I got a low wattage one instead. I know the low wattage is dual core and has a slightly slower clock speed, but if I'm using the laptop for watching movies/tv, light gaming, programming, and light photo/video editing would it really matter? One other thing I'm looking for is a dedicated GPU, so the integrated GPU difference isn't a factor. I also want the laptop to last through the 4 years of college, so please consider it from a future-proofing standpoint also.

Anheanz

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
i thnk your going to have quite a hard time finding a laptop that fits all of your requirements. I dont know of any touchscreen ultrabooks with a dedicated gpu and i7. If you could do without the touchscreen it would really open a lot more doors for you certainly make it easier for you to find the rest of your requirements.

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014

I realize that, but I find it entirely necessary when dealing with Windows 8 and I have certain games I play with touch screen features that I'd like to experience. I have seen a few ultrabooks with i7s and 750Ms, which is all I need, but I don't want to sacrifice any performance. I might be willing to give up dedicated graphics if the laptop had the intel iris integrated gpu, but it's not like there are many of those out there either.
One example would be this Asus laptop: http://www.microcenter.com/product/428652/Zenbook_UX31LA-DS71T_133_Ultrabook_-_Silver_Aluminum

My niche interest is why I'm here, I'd like to know if I'm just making this too hard on myself and if I can broaden my search a bit.

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014

One thing I'd like to know is if I would get more battery life from the older N550JV, because is uses the 750M which takes less max power than the 850M, and as far as I can tell everything else seems to be the same, though I doubt I'd be using the GPU at max power very often.

I have looked into the Y50 and I didn't like hearing about the mushy keyboard.