Will leaving my laptop plugged in & fully charged damage my battery?

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
So I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 310 14IKB and I was wondering if leaving it plugged in at 100% will shorten the battery lifespan? The specs are an i5-7200, 12 GB of RAM, 920MX 2 GB and a 2 Cell Battery. Right now I'm mostly at home so that's why I prefer to leave it plugged in, but is that a good idea? Or would it be better unplug it and charge it back up when it's hovering around 40-50%? Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Yes leaving it plugged and fully charged eventually reduces battery life.

The linked article basically says you should:
a) Never fully charge a Lithium-ion battery (that makes it reach max temp),

b) Never keep it connected to AC when fully charged (that overheats it)
Quote: "Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling"

c) Never allow it to fully discharge or even go below 20% (except on rare occasion) but rather keep it always with a fair level of charge. (Discharge the battery to something like 40-70% before recharging it)

So, you should not allow the battery to fully charge to keep...

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Yes leaving it plugged and fully charged eventually reduces battery life.

The linked article basically says you should:
a) Never fully charge a Lithium-ion battery (that makes it reach max temp),

b) Never keep it connected to AC when fully charged (that overheats it)
Quote: "Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling"

c) Never allow it to fully discharge or even go below 20% (except on rare occasion) but rather keep it always with a fair level of charge. (Discharge the battery to something like 40-70% before recharging it)

So, you should not allow the battery to fully charge to keep it as cool as possible, maybe allow it to reach 90-95% charge, and never allow it to discharge down below 20% charge and only allow it to discharge to mid charge before recharching it. Something like 40-70%

Be aware that this first link is about a drone battery but it's a lithium-ion battery so the same should apply for a laptop battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

This article resumes all I said above.
https://www.howtogeek.com/169669/debunking-battery-life-myths-for-mobile-phones-tablets-and-laptops/

Solution

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

Thanks for your answer! So it's best to charge it to around 90% and then let it drain to around 40-50% then charge again? That is a better option (in terms of extending battery life in the long term) then letting than letting it charge past 100%? Sorry for the questions I just want to be sure.

And I forgot to mention earlier that my laptop has the conservation mode feature (which you can read up here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Conservation-Mode-in-Lenovo-Energy-Manager-plugged-in-not/ta-p/1677271). Is this a possible solution?

No it will not harm the laptop. If you are not using then no harm will be done, it is when you leave it on and and have a full charge. The damage will vary depending on what you are doing with the laptop. I have a desktop replacement which can bare the damage so its not much of an issue as I am always plugged in. I personally charge laptops to 80% unless I need the battery life or in the case of my drt, I leave it fully charged all the time as I need the power.