Will my Intel CPU work with this Nvidia GPU (Laptop)?

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
I'm currently using an Intel Core i7 4710HQ processor, and Intel HD Graphics 4600 in my Lenovo y50. The current graphics card that I'm using is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M. I wanted to know if I would be able to use a Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 in my laptop using my express port. I believe the Express Port may be a 16x 2.0 or 3.0. The main thing I am worried about is buying this GPU and it won't end up working. Can anyone tell me if this will work better by using this newer graphics card, or if it will totally fail and be a waste of my money?

Update: My PCI is 16x and version 3.0. I'm fairly sure that means the GPU will atleast fit into my express port. With that said, all I need to know now is if the new GPU will be compatible with my components, and if it would be worth spending $200 on.

Thanks,
Seon

Solution
You can't add an external GPU to an ordinary laptop. Currently, the "universal" eGPU adapter is Razer Core. It's using a Thunderbolt 3 connector (keep that in mind), and it's expensive.

IDProG

Estimable
Jul 6, 2016
You can't add an external GPU to an ordinary laptop. Currently, the "universal" eGPU adapter is Razer Core. It's using a Thunderbolt 3 connector (keep that in mind), and it's expensive.

Solution

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
@IDProG please do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Thunderbolt the same as a 1x PCI express slot? If so, then my PC has one. Aside from this, I've also seen devices that are able to hook up full sized desktop GPUs to a laptop.

IDProG

Estimable
Jul 6, 2016
I don't see any PCIe slot at the sides of your laptop. Can you show me the picture of the PCIe slot that you're talking about.
This is the picture of the laptop that truly has PCIe slot. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/cy9FOJlgR6Q_SQklSl3zcOlLhrEpFbpMvd81hPehEtd0Oo2VjsV02eOhmw_Xhpfvu2-gMCmpp1mWBxa8baug0qJRAefkfaLAis9qED2FgWbarpOkDyTZEg=w640-h180-nc
And this is the picture of a laptop's USB type-C port that has Thunderbolt 3 support. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7UEInHfHrBvW6-DdAQ1VXeBsdnqxukktX3YYcKKqkCPNI8k0O4KOUV6tT

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Well I feel stupid. Lol. Eother way, on the inside of my laptop, I have a 1x PCIe and 2 16x PCIes aswell, so I should still be able to hook up the device I was talking about earlier that allows GPUS to be hooked up.

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
If I'm able to find a way to make the GPU work with my laptop, would it be worth the upgrade from an 860M to a 780? For the GPU and a power supply for it, it would cost around $300.