Will my parents know if I buy a steam game with my card

SweggyJesus

Estimable
Oct 10, 2015
My parents are quite over-protective over what I link my card up to, but I want to buy some steam games after I earned some money working a job. I am 16 and my card is mine, only I know the PIN, and my mother doesn't open my monthly bank statements, I do. If I spend lets say £20 on a steam game, will they see like online what I spent it on? Will it specify what exactly I spent it on, like Steam or will it just say that £20 went out?

Solution

Is the issue the fact that you would spend money on Steam and give them the card information or that you want to buy some inappropriate game where you kill kids and eat sheep alive or something?

If it's just the fact that you are linking your card to Steam, that will not have any less protection or...
G

If it's in your name (the card) and you're not going on a shopping-spree as it where, what's the issue? Not being critical here, just pragmatic. Also, do you have the means to pay the 20 quid (by way of a job) which you do state, then it shows you that you earned it, IMO.

larkspur

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Haha, that's an interesting one. I'm not totally sure but I think anyone under 18 has to have a parent/guardian co-sign on their bank account which gives the adult the ability to access the account. It may be different in the UK I don't know. If they are monitoring your bank account online and you buy something from steam then yes it will show up on the statement (online or paper) as a transaction involving steam in the description. When I was 16 I too worked a job and as far as I was concerned my paycheck was mine and anything reasonable I did with it wasn't any of my parents' business ;) My advice would be to buy the game and if your parents don't like it then tell them that's just too bad because you are 16, earned the money yourself and are responsible-enough to make your own decisions about your own money.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
If you wanna be sneaky you could open a paypal account and buy a transfer/topup card with cash then use paypal to buy steam item. If your parents are concerned about the ID theft safety aspect of you linking your card to various accounts then you could link your card to paypal and explain to them how paypal acts as an extra layer of security when making purchases online. Then they'll see how smart and responsible you are. =D

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
hey firstly well done for getting a job and not dossing about

yeah in an ideal world you earned the money you should be able to buy what you want with it

but its not an ideal world and its sad really that you have to resort to trying to hide the fact you spent 20 quid

only you know how your parents react to situations but if you were my kid i would be proud you worked to earn it and wouldnt see any wrong in you buying games within reason--not hundreds of pounds of them though

Is the issue the fact that you would spend money on Steam and give them the card information or that you want to buy some inappropriate game where you kill kids and eat sheep alive or something?

If it's just the fact that you are linking your card to Steam, that will not have any less protection or more risk than if you used your card to buy gum at the local store or your parents buying anything with their cards.

Solution