Will Sil3112 SATA controller work with SSD?

DJR96

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I have an Acer Aspire 5100 (5105WLMi) that I am trying to install Windows 7 onto a G.skill Falcon II 128Gb SSD. However it Windows Installer comes up with an error. I've made the partitions on the SSD on another poota which the installer recognises, but it just bombs out soon after I start installing files.
I've managed to install Win7 as a dual boot on the original WD1600BEVS HDD so it seems Win7 is ok, despite no support for Win7 from Acer.
I've tried installing the SATA driver (ATI 4379 SATA controller) which is actually a SiL3112 PCI-to-SATA150 chip. Is this chip capable of running my SSD? Or is it just TBO and I should just replace my laptop?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

DJR96

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks, That looked like a promising tip. Unfortunately the thing has died completely now. Not even an led when the power lead is connected................

I'm normally pretty capable when it comes to pulling something apart, fixing it, and putting it all back together. I was looking to confirm the presence of the Sil3112 chip on the motherboard because the SilFlashTool program didn't find it. Nor could I mind you....... So back together again, started, but died during the RAM check. (brand new 4Gb that worked fine for the last week!) Now nothing. Too much hassle. Anyone interested in it for parts???