Will this run games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hi guys will this be able to run games at an entertaining/not frustrating level?

i7 2670qm 2.2GHz - 3.1GHz turbo
4GB RAM
gt525m nvidia geforce 1 GB Memory
500 GB HDD

Games like Dawn of War 2, Uncharted, Shogun 2......

Solution

The first poster is wrong.

The GT525m, while comparatively low-end by desktop standards, is a reasonably fast graphics solution for a laptop. I would say it's about mid-range for gaming notebooks. It certainly helps that the i7 2670qm is one of the premier notebook processors. You should be able to play games like Dawn of War 2, Shogun 2, and most modern games at medium settings in 720p and get solid results.

Your system is excellent (for a laptop).

But Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive, if I'm not mistaken.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

The first poster is wrong.

The GT525m, while comparatively low-end by desktop standards, is a reasonably fast graphics solution for a laptop. I would say it's about mid-range for gaming notebooks. It certainly helps that the i7 2670qm is one of the premier notebook processors. You should be able to play games like Dawn of War 2, Shogun 2, and most modern games at medium settings in 720p and get solid results.

Your system is excellent (for a laptop).

But Uncharted is a PS3 exclusive, if I'm not mistaken.

Solution

einterlan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

100% agreed whit you!

How about a little research ?
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html
"the gaming performance of the GT 525M is sufficient for medium detail settings in modern games like Battlefield Bad Company 2. Less demanding games should run in high detail settings. The best resolution to choose is about 1360x768 due to the limited performance. Benchmarks and comparison charts on the 3D performance can be found below (as soon as we collect benchmarks) or on the GT 425M pag"

For me,entertaining/not frustrating level= 1080p/medium settings.But if you are fine running those games @med/low settings on 720p or lower resolutions,then yes 525M will do the job fine.

Seems like "entertaining levels of gaming" has different meaning to people.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

It is subjective. And I can see your point considering that it would be comparatively low-end compared to the average gaming desktop, but remember, this is a lappy! The fact that he will not only be able to play modern games, but enable some degree of eye candy (and in 720p) tells me that the answer to his question is, "Yes, you will be able to run games at an entertaining level." It may not be an m18x, but it is an excellent system for a non-gaming laptop. And this coming from the proud owner of dual 6970 rig and ASUS G73JH (with a 5870m).

Come on now, you didn't have to throw those in there to try and prove your point. That is not what the website said. That's subtle manipulation! :)

No it's not powerful even for a laptop(gaming).You can get laptops with medium cards like GT 540M for around $800 or even less.540M/6630M is what I call a mid-range laptop card for gaming.
And I don't manipulate anything,notebookcheck is famous for making mistakes and what they tell in the description is a little different compared to real world performance.(even their benchmarks have some errors).I only posted the link to give the OP the idea of the laptop's general performance.

Again,entertaining levels have different meanings to people,so don't expect others to have the same idea as you.So I think it all comes down to what the OP defines "entertaining"

Desert Eagle

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
kiingzz, you're a better judge of what "entertaining/not frustrating level" means to you but for me I would be disapointed with a 525M. It would mean low resolution and mostly low quality settings and I would rather wait a little while, save some more $$$ and get a laptop with a better mobile GPU. Have a look at Tom's chart for GPUs below. Perhaps this will give you a better idea what you would have by comparing it to a desktop or mobile GPU that you are familiar with.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

A simple word search tells me that the laptop in question is the Satellite L750/0CN.

This machine is not even in the same league as an $800 laptop. This is a high-end, performance notebook (albeit not necessarily a gaming notebook). This is a laptop that costs well over a thousand dollars. Like I said, the processor is bad to the bone.

This laptop is excellent.

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/notebook-computers/pc-notebook-computers/toshiba-l750-0cn-15-6-notebook/prod115173.html

The laptop's gaming performance or the laptop's general performance? If it's the latter, I don't even think it's up for debate. The 2670qm beats out even the 2630qm, which happens to be the same processor in the one of the most powerful notebooks ever, the Alienware M18x. Even it's 4GB of RAM is 1333MHz, whereas most modern notebooks use 1066MHz DDR3. This notebook rocks.

citation needed

It's my opinion that websites like that are generally pretty conservative when making claims.

How's this for general performance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMB0xSahI8&feature=related

Not only is this user running Crysis 2 on high in 1360x768 and getting good performance, but is doing it with a CPU that isn't even in the same league as the 2670qm.

Here is a user playing BF3 on high in 1360x768, although there's lag, mainly due to fraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQO8D0moap4

Here's a user running BF3 in medium settings and getting great performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKZT6KfThA

In both BF3 videos, the CPU doesn't come close to the 2670qm.

Here is someone playing Crysis almost maxed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7pVOrnf2Q

Again, with a far weaker CPU.

There are tons of people on youtube running modern games (even demanding ones), and doing so with decent visual settings and good performance. And considering that 1360x768 is the native resolution of that laptop, playing games in 1360x768 will look acceptable and feel natural.

Entertaining and not frustrating?

I would say so.

I don't think we'll ever get a result out of this conversation because we have different definitions of gaming performance.
My internet connection sucks so I couldn't check all the videos,so I checked some of them and for me,they looked horrible.For example,the last vid(crysis)while,it's playable but a mixture of medium/high(with few options on very high) and still not getting under 60FPS is totally unacceptable.(for me)
Like I said before,the minimum settings that I would call acceptable/fine would be 1080p/medium settings/60 FPS.(or in this case,it'll be 720p)Anything under that isn't OK with me(one of the reasons I don't get a laptop) but for you,as mentioned,lower settings is fine.
But the thing is,those vids were in parts of the game in which nothing heavy was going on.Bring on some explosions/soldiers and gunfire and then the card will struggle.

So,Entertaining and not frustrating? I would say no.But again,that's just me.The OP may think like you.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

I bought this little machine for less than 700$AU Brand Spanking New off the Dell website as it had a 25% off sale, I didn't purchase this laptop for its gaming specs as it is just for work and internet browsing, I just wanted to know whether I could have some fun playing games on it.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

We will get a result out of all of this, I assume that most of your gaming comes from playing on a desktop as it is difficult to get 50fps on high settings on games like Shogun 2 unless you have great specs on your laptop, as the game requires a fantastic processor and an extremely good gpu; in other words you have to spend atleast 1500$ on a laptop to get even close to max settings whilst playing a demanding game like Shogun 2. This thread is about laptop performance and since you obviously don't know too much about laptop gaming gtfo as you're wasting my time of reading your posts as they don't display relevant information.

I accept my laptop isn't a gaming machine. Obviously for 675$ I just wanted to get the best notebook I could and hopefully have some moderate gaming from it, and I assume this is possible by what other people who actually play games on laptops have posted in response to my question, Bye.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks. Is it true by me saying that Shogun 2 stresses the gpu more than most games on laptops? and if I was to upgrade anything on my little laptop when it gets delivered would it be best to change the gpu and if so can you link me some better ones?

P.S I don't know why I threw Uncharted in the list haha Probs meant the Witcher 2><

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
That laptop will have a BIG problem running Witcher 2. It is a very graphical intensive game probably only second to none by Battlefield 3. Shogun 2 stresses the GPU but not near as much as say Skyrim, Battlefield, etc.

Also, you can't upgrade anything in a laptop. What you buy is what your stuck with forever. The only thing you can replace is the Hard Drive and that is only if it fails.

All in all, that laptop will play games on lower settings and a lower resolution. It is by no means "high end" as that would be gtx 560m+. Remember also that a laptop GTX 560 is only about half as strong as the desktop version. This applies to everything. Sure it may have a decent CPU but CPUs don't do all of the work. GPUs do most of the work and having an amazing CPU along with a "decent" GPU will only gimp your PC.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Battlefield Bad Company 2 isn't demanding at all. I run it at all high settings at 720p with shadows on medium on an 1.7Ghz i7 and GT 230m at 30 fps which is also a laptop. All I am saying is that the laptop is not amazing by any standards. Especially since we just got a new generation of graphics cards which means sooner or later and especially with new consoles coming out that the graphics in games will be highly raised. So you would only get maybe two years out of that laptop without buying a new one. Again, you can't upgrade a laptop. But if your fine playing at 30fps on low/medium settings at 1360x768 then go ahead.

Before you go ahead and post that BF3 stuff the user above linked and talked about the amazing CPU. Remember, BF3, Witcher2, and Crysis 2 are NOT CPU heavy games. They are VERY GPU heavy so you won't see any difference in FPS between your machine and theirs unless your playing say Starcraft 2, which is a VERY CPU heavy game. A very powerful CPU with a middle class GPU will only bottle neck your CPU in some cases. GPU > CPU

I must also point out to make sure your not only listening to what you want to hear but also the general facts. Again, though it's your money so it's your call. I'm not going to argue over that. You earned your money so do what you want to with it.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks, if you look at my post above yours all I did was quote Maziar I forgot to state my point but never mind. You can upgrade RAM can't you I have seen videos, and also I know that the games you listed demand a good gpu and I would be satisfied if I could play shogun 2 on low settings haha.

Oh an btw you can change the gpu but it requires you to replace the motherboard and all of that and out of curiosity am I right by saying my gpu gt 525m is a middle class laptop gaming processor and it won't bottleneck my i7 2670qm because it's a good cpu but not the best?

kreek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Yeah in some cases you can upgrade your RAM. That laptop has 4 gigs which is enough for any game on the market today. No need to upgrade your RAM. Shogun 2 you could probably play on medium/high in some situations but just don't expect the same performance in say The Witcher.

Kiingzz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks, I used Witcher just as an example I don't actually have that game and don't intend on buying it ever.
But with shogun 2 I do intend to buy it very much indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.