Will Windows 10 Be Installed?

ZestyBangz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Hello! I downloaded a few updates to my PC/GPU the other day, and still need to restart my system to install them. I will be doing so by going to the (Windows 8.1) Start icon in the bottom left-hand corner, right clicking and then restart (obviously). However, I am currently greeted by the message as seen in the attached screenshot. When I restart my PC, will Windows 10 be installed? I need to restart my PC, but am not quite ready for Windows 10.

Thank you!

Image: http://imgur.com/e8A19tG

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
don't know I declined all the upgrade to 10 updates Microsoft sent out -- if you don't want 10 I guess go to installed updates and uninstall all them required to upgrade to 10 ?? then it maybe too late and your trapped ??

this is why I suggest never auto update and review each update before downloading and installing them so you don't get into these kind of messes ??

http://www.intowindows.com/remove-upgrade-to-windows-10-message-from-windows-78/

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I was reading the coments about it returned what they may not be doing is turning off auto updates and set that to check for updates but let me decide to download and install them

the it will notifie you about available updates and the ones you first review [ highlight update and click more information] and read the update notes to see if its one you will except

if not go back to windows update and right click on it and select hide update then ok and it should not return unless you call it back up

now as for windows 7 Microsoft sent me several of these windows10 things some were under important updates and some were under optional updates [tried to sneak them in any way they could or fool me ]

I declined and hide then all - no window 10 for me

Based on the screenshot, Windows 10 has been fully downloaded and is ready to be automatically installed when the laptop is restarted.

Therefore, the Windows 10 upgrade process will commence the next time the laptop is turned on. You will probably not be able to abort the upgrade process unless you get an option to abort when the laptop is turned on.

ZestyBangz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
1) If I cancel my reservation for Windows 10, how exactly do I then get Windows 10 when I am ready?

2) Have you had any issues with playing games (Steam, etc.) on Windows 10?

Thank you!

If you cancel your reservation for Windows 10 your current Windows OS will still attempt to download it... At least that's what it is doing on one of my laptops. I reserved Windows 10, but when it was ready to download I decided to hold off until Service Pack 1 is released so I cancelled the downloading process.

However, Windows Update still attempted to download Windows 10 in the background and I had to cancel it. To prevent the Win 10 upgrade from being automatically downloaded go into the Control Panel, then click Windows Update. The Win 10 upgrade will show up as an optional download; you might have to click "Show all available updates" to see important and optional updates. Go to the optional update, then right click the Win 10 upgrade and click "Hide update". Now Windows will not attempt to download the upgrade.

When you are ready to install the Win 10 upgrade go to Control Panel, then Windows Update again. There should be a link for "Restore hidden updates". From there you can select the upgrade and click the "Restore" button.

ZestyBangz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Currently, since I have yet to restart my PC (I'm only shutting down instead), whenever my PC turns on a window pops up saying "Your upgrade is ready to install" with an option to "schedule it for later" and "start the upgrade now". If I click on "schedule it for later" I can postpone it up to 2 days in advance at a certain time. If I do this, and postpone it until, for example, 8/30/15 at 1:00 PM, will I get a popup at that time/date confirming I am ready, or will the install begin automatically without further confirmation?

dkoda666

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I got the free upgrade the past July. I like 8 better. Everything such as, start and other stuff is off to the left and have to press the windows icon and the letter x to get to the control panel, etc.
It might be better for some but prefer 8.

ZestyBangz

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

What did you like more about Windows 8 than Windows 10, dkoda666?

dkoda666

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

On windows 8 everything was set up perfectly. I had all laid out and visually clear and was able to click on it and would open, especially the photo gallery (which I need for my job) was simple and at reach, now I have to click on the windows icon, search for it and sometimes have to find the folder, before the upgrade I can find all now but it takes getting use to. 10 will have new (stuff) like Xbox? different free games like solitaire, but not the Xbox ones), umm let me see, there are more apps you can get for free, I do the food and the fitness ones, shops, different music (not into that) like free Pandora? (not sure what it is) Most of them I ignore or delete. Bottom left in the task bar called (Cortana) ask me anything. I prefer hide it, as I do not like the Bing search engine. Google is the windows 10 but Bing is through the Cortana. I guess for me, I liked 8 better. The layout was better with 8. But it is up to you.