Will Wright: Wii Belongs in "Toy Department"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genghiskhanid

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Aren't consoles toys? I mean this person might have been in the industry for a while but imo all video game consoles are toys, meant to entertain me, but I still PLAY them.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]genghiskhanid[/nom]Aren't consoles toys? I mean this person might have been in the industry for a while but imo all video game consoles are toys, meant to entertain me, but I still PLAY them.[/citation]

Depends on what you use them for. A computer is not a toy - but it can be used exclusively for playing games. Does that make it a toy? An xbox or ps3 can potentially do more than just play games, granted, not as much as a personal computer. The wii, on the other hand, by design and very deliberately avoided being a do-it-all device and stuck with just playing games. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I got all three consoles, my kids actually enjoy the PS3 and Wii more than anything, the motion controllers of the Wii appeal to them more.

With the soon to be released motion stuff for PS3 and the Natal for Xbox, this all may change.

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I wish they would release a normal multi button controller (similar to the classic wiimote) and create games that have you pressing more than the giant A button.

The system is great for old school RPG's but the controller sucks.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
It's funny to read some of comments above of guys taking themselves a little too seriosly. "Oh.. I'm not playing, I'm gaming .." Get off your high horses people. You are all playing with toys whether you spend a few bucks on a console or a few thousand on a computer. And there's nothing wrong with that just don't fool yourselves.

limwsv

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Actually I want to play "serious" games on Wii, but the platform does not seems to be popular amongst game developers to release for. I can imagine playing Assassin Creed and using my wiimote to cut and slash, something you can't do wtih PS3 and XBOX360 yet.
The game developers should exploit the capabilities of the 3D interface that Wii present instead of treating it as a additional development cost.
Lastly, Nintendo should license the Wiimote so all the games developer just need to develop one control interface to play games with.

somata

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I, too, largely agree with Wright, but that's not to say there aren't some "real" games on the Wii as well. I thoroughly enjoyed Mario Galaxy and even Twilight Princess wasn't bad. On the other hand, Nintendo's focus is clearly on the casual market, so these so-called "real" games are far and few between. It doesn't help that the hardware is underpowered either, though perhaps necessarily so to appeal to the mass market. Not that the casual market couldn't handle better hardware, but to keep costs low, which is very important for wide adoption. The reason I think Wright's distinction is good, though, is that the Wii clearly isn't competing in the same category as the PS3 and Xbox 360.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I actually may buy a Wii, but it's for my nephew. =D
If the Wii had more games with chainsaws, them maybe, but only a couple right now isn't enough for me.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Almost all of the "good" games you can play on the PS3 you can just play on your PC and in my opinion be more comfortable playing them. The Wii has two things going for it that help it sell very well, it targets the short period gamers, the group gamers, and it has all the Nintendo exclusives that the involved gamers have come to expect.

So if you want to use them targeting the short period gamers and group gamers to qualify it as a toy you can but really the Wii targets a larger group of people than the Xbox or PS3 target.

The real issue is that because the Wii doesn't support HD video and has such a different control design the cross platform developers that are putting out their games on the Xbox, PS3, and PC at the same time don't want to have to do the intense redesigning required to accommodate the Wii's processing limitations nor to take advantage of the control advantages.

G

Anyone knocking the wii has never played MAN HUNT 2 on it. It beats Grand theft Auto 3 and vice city. I have not had the pleasure of playing GTA on the new PS3 system but I bought my PS2 for GTA and man hunt 2 is the most violent video game I have played

Status
Not open for further replies.