Will Wright's New Game Based on Sci-Fi Short Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
wow, I want to play this game...

o wait, I don't do social networks, nor tablets and especially no iOS. I hate this type of games.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
"Casual gaming is the way the game industry is headed."

That says a lot. It says that the general populous is fickle and easily bored. It says that the industry really is about making money, and not being creative. It says that true gaming enthusiasts are not worth catering to anymore. It says that because of poor leadership and upper echelon greed, the industry can't produce a worthwhile game in a relatively moderate timeframe and sell it at an acceptable pricepoint (they want or need a more immediate return on thier efforts -- which is part of thier agument against piracy).

The fallout of this trend -- boring, lame, non-engrossing games. This pisses me off, because I consider playing a good game to be a kin to a good book or movie -- except that you play as the protagonist, rather than watching from the sidelines. Also, these kind of games may yet be easily rendered (if 3D) in the cloud because of thier low demands. If this happens -- and there have been threats -- I bet Nvidia and AMD will see thier share prices fall, as nobody will need to upgrade thier rigs for anything. Who needs a new video card if all the games suck? At least AMD can put thier GPUs into thier CPUs. They might survive it. Maybe they were counting on the gaming trend changing too? What about Nvidia? Are they working on a CPU/GPU combo for desktops? Perhaps I live under a rock ...

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Mr. Wright, give me a new Sim City game or go sit down somewhere.[/citation]
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Screw that, where the f- is Sim City 5?[/citation]
THUMBS. UP.

a1b2c3

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
"They earn karmic points that are redeemed by having somebody else help them."

Sounds like this encourages give-to-get, rather than contributing without expecting something is return.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
. "Unless you can get something to market within a year, at least an initial version within a year, you're hosed."

"So that's the new model for development, which has totally changed my thinking,"
I think what he meant to say was: "We put a lot of development time into Spore, then put such ridiculous DRM into it that more people played the cracked version they downloaded off off bittorrent than played a legitimately purchased copy. Therefore, if I can't release it into a controlled environment like the iTunes Appstore or Facebook, I'm not gonna waste my time *takes ball and runs home crying*".

Speaking of "The Sims", way to go EA. My wife pre-ordered the latest expansion for The Sims 3. The thing didn't show up in her download list until the day AFTER it was supposed to be released (had to wait more than 24-hours, would have been faster to buy it at wal-mart), and then she had to track-down a patch herself, because the auto-updater wouldn't work (couldn't install without a patch, game wouldn't patch itself). After all that, the game is still buggy. Last dollar EA gets from us.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]The fallout of this trend -- boring, lame, non-engrossing games. This pisses me off, because I consider playing a good game to be a kin to a good book or movie[/citation]
You have struck it head on, now apply directly to forehead.

I prefer a good game to movies or books for that exact reason. For your entertainment, would you rather watch harry potter do things, read about him doing things, or control what he does and watch and read about it?

Just because everyone in the world logged into farmville for 5 minutes doesn't make it a good game. It makes it available and accessible within 5 minutes.

P.S. Spore sucked, thanks EA

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
will wright discovered you can make more money by entertaining dumber people with a game designed with them in mind since there's more of them.
and that's the essentials of this article.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Alright I wants to make sure I understand this. A game based off of karma balance and karma is gained by gifting others desires and possibly lost by not? The way to find out what others want is by a form of computer that transmits people close to you or likely predicted to be close to you and selects items from a wishlist type system.

Certainly I am not the only one who sees this as something that sounds to be without a ounce of entertainment? I get "it" if people worked in such a system in real life the world would likely be a better and kinder place. But as a game, I just don't see it. Games are suppose to entertain they may also serve other purposes such as having a educational value and that is fine. But to strip the fun out of a game completely is not the way to go.

I also have a terrible feeling that such items will be bought with in-game currency which will likely be purchased with real money. I do not see the point in giving a stranger a virtual cup of coffee for real money. I would much rather just buy such for the homeless I come across in real life.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]"Casual gaming is the way the game industry is headed."That says a lot. It says that the general populous is fickle and easily bored. It says that the industry really is about making money, and not being creative. It says that true gaming enthusiasts are not worth catering to anymore. It says that because of poor leadership and upper echelon greed, the industry can't produce a worthwhile game in a relatively moderate timeframe and sell it at an acceptable pricepoint (they want or need a more immediate return on thier efforts -- which is part of thier agument against piracy).The fallout of this trend -- boring, lame, non-engrossing games. This pisses me off, because I consider playing a good game to be a kin to a good book or movie -- except that you play as the protagonist, rather than watching from the sidelines. Also, these kind of games may yet be easily rendered (if 3D) in the cloud because of thier low demands. If this happens -- and there have been threats -- I bet Nvidia and AMD will see thier share prices fall, as nobody will need to upgrade thier rigs for anything. Who needs a new video card if all the games suck? At least AMD can put thier GPUs into thier CPUs. They might survive it. Maybe they were counting on the gaming trend changing too? What about Nvidia? Are they working on a CPU/GPU combo for desktops? Perhaps I live under a rock ...[/citation]

nvidia and amd will always be able to sell their hardware because if cloud gaming (im thinking onlive) uses their cards, and upgrades parts every (they said) 6 months.

G

My Six and three year old kids love Spore, they play it again and again. Sadly, I think it's poo. This game sounds like Poo 2.

There certainly is a trend amongst alot of established titles to dumb down their content, to gloss up the graphis rather than add play mechanisms, to simplify to the point where a seven year old can play it, rather than go after the mature gaming market.

Status
Not open for further replies.