Windows 10 disk 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Recently my laptop get stuck a lot. After open up Task Manager, it shows that disk is running 100% or 99%. At most times the system occupies the most. Some times there is no writing nor reading and still 100%. Tries most of the solution around the net but still the same.

Specs:
ASUS A43SA
Windows 10
Intel i5-2430M, 2.4 GHz
6.0 GB RAM DDR3
Samsung 4.0 GB + Kingston 2.0 GB
750 GB HDD
C: 7.67 GB free of 301 GB
D: 2.08 GB free of 371 GB
RADEON HD 6730M 2 GB

Update:
Recently when open up specific music file will cause entire system jam or unresponding. One of the attempt crashes the system but some attempt successful.

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
task manager
performance tab
resource monitor button at bottom
disk tab
what program is causing your disk use? kill it, get rid of it.

if a 'certain' music file causes hangs, are you sure its not a virus? is it a dodgy copy and windows is trying to verify it online?

sizzling

Distinguished
Could be a dying HDD. If you know the make of the HDD go to the manufacturers website, they should have some health check software you can run. My other thought is your mixed RAM causing a conflict, if you use 4gb only do you get the same problem.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

That music is simply large file that over 10MB, tried other files with more than 10MB same result.
The 'program' you asking is System itself.
Recently I disabled Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry it helps but when open a program will cause 100% for a while before goes down,only happens when open the program for the first time after start up.

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
is your pagefile system managed?
i would always suggest you leave double your RAM free on every partition. i know many believe its a waste of space, but i like to know that windows can dump whatever is in the RAM onto any partition without filling it to capacity; and has the space within a partition to uncompress/extract files. - disk defrag (which will take you 1-2+ hours because your drives are full).

yes, it could be a sign of hard drive failure, faulty RAM stick (you will start getting BSOD if this is the case). imo if you dont have the RAM, and dont have the pagefile space, windows will keep caching and killing, which results in high HDD activity.

Try deleting some unnecc. files/folders? use readyboost at least 8GB (more better) and see if the disk caching stops (if it is disk caching).

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

Current storage after delete some files:
C: 18.2 GB free of 301 GB
D: 22.8 GB free of 371 GB

Use readyboost and still the same. The drives had been defrag. Maybe is hard disk failure, after all this laptop is 6 years old. Might check the RAM.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Download and run HDDSentinel (https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php). Run it and check the health and SMART status of your drive. If it shows errors then its time for a new hard disk.
Also open task manager and then resource monitor and check what is using the hdd the most and do keep an eye on the page file activity in resource monitor. It can also indicate to a bad RAM.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
One thing, usually when the disks 100% it freeze and recovered no issues but in some cases it restarted windows explorer when recovered.

Download and run HDDSentinel (https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php). Run it and check the health and SMART status of your drive. If it shows errors then its time for a new hard disk.
Also open task manager and then resource monitor and check what is using the hdd the most and do keep an eye on the page file activity in resource monitor. It can also indicate to a bad RAM.
Use the program you recommend and check the hard disk health has only 4%.

Update:
This time my disk runs at 100% and after that my typefont gone and only partially remains.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Too bad my external hard disk broke. WD Elements 1TB. It detectable on Device Manager but couldn't access files. It is reported as hardware error but I might started another topic for this and thanks for advice.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Its time for a new hard disk drive. The HDD is faulty.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Here some update after giving to expert for diagnosis. My HDD have 30% bad sectors in it.
And after resetting the pagefile to system managed the disk is much better but still occurs 100% from time to time when running big files.

Limyx826

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

I will leave my laptop alone and change a new one by the end of this year but thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.