Question Windows 10 frozen at login

Aug 13, 2020
Hello--maybe this shouldn't be in laptop section but I didnt see a PC or help section from my phone;

I formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 last weekend as I do it about once every 12-18 months. I ended going through the process three or four times now in the last week. Each time, after installing updates, all of my programs, and getting resituated I find myself successfully restarting the PC and being able to login every morning. Until one time I am no longer able to login after restart. Tapping the spacebar at the login screen does nothing. I am completely frozen. Motherboard code reads A0.

Here is what I have tried:
  • Removing all hardware components and reinstalling them
  • Cycling the RAM during above process
  • I am able to login via safe mode and I uninstalled every program 1 by 1 but the issue persisted
  • I tried the Startup Repair
  • I did do a System Restore, but the problem occurs so close to initial reinstall that none of my programs & etc...remain and I am basically restored back to the point immediately after successfull installation
  • None of my temps look abnormal
  • I believe this is everything I've tried, I think it may be some background process but I cant determine which one, I suspect Asus Aura may be the culprit but before I reinstall again I thought I would post here
-Windows 10 Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202
-Legit copy of Windows
-9900K no manual OC, 1080ti (Asus) no manual OC, 3200Gskill ram (xmp enabled), Z390 Aorus Master

Appreciate your inputs in advance
~ROZ

Aug 13, 2020
Thanks COLGeek, I posted mainly out of frustration.

*SOLUTION: I just determined the cause, it was indeed Asus Lighting Service...I was more methodical in my approach this time when disabling services to determine cause. As I already suspect Asus I left it for last and sure enough it was my culprit.

I am not sure why it takes a day or two to start affecting my system, I guess for now I'll have a rainbow video card. Maybe I will switch video card brands when the RTX 3000 series launches.

*FYI: to uninstall ASUS Aura and the accompanying Lighting Service, you have to disable Lighting Service in "Services" or the unsintall may error.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
laptopseeks2020 Laptop General Discussion 3
aidneqwerty Laptop General Discussion 0
M Laptop General Discussion 4
B Laptop General Discussion 2
NIL888 Laptop General Discussion 2
F Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 14
M Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1