Windows 10 hard freezes when not moving mouse

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
I've been having a problem with my laptop, and it's been really annoying. For some reason my windows hard freezes when I leave my pc idle. Sometimes it even freezes when I'm working on in, but most times it just happens when it's not being used. SO far I've tried updating drivers but still have it... I have a omen 17 laptop with 16gb ram a i7 6700hq and a gtx 1070... I'm not able to download any games because my internet is really slow so I have to do it at night but it just keeps freezing after 10 min.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Change the power settings to high performance in windows and report back. If it helps, then i know what the problem is with your laptop. Although, this is not a fix.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

I've always had it on I performance. Thing is it just started getting this problem, so I dunno what would have happened to my laptop :/

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
ok do one thing, keep the windows resource monitor on, task manager on. and let it idle till it freezes. take a snapshot and post it here. i think its got something to do with the defragmentation process which turns on while your computer idles. But a snapshot will help me diagnose it better

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
In the meantime do one thing, go to device manager, right click on your keyboard, then go to properties, go to power management tab and select"allow this device to wake up the computer". Do the same for mouse or trackpads. And be sure to uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Then go to power settings and create a custom plan and use it.
You can also download Advanced system care free and install it. Only use it if you are quite adept with registry cleaners and system tweakers.

mdd1963

Distinguished
My guess is once it freezes, they might be unable to do a screenshot....

WHen not actually doing anything,within task manager, what is cpu utilization with no browser open? Any mysterious processes open? (Some crypto-mining malware will start only after several minutes of mouse inactivity, so, disable screen saver, and have task manager open in focus /highlighted to view after 5-10 minutes to see if mysterious processes/cpu activity starts....)

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

I'll try to do it, thing is I actually dont really know how much time it takes to freeze and if it will freeze, but I'll try leaving it untouched for 10 min and I'll see what happens. I'll take a photo with my phone because I if its frozen I wont be able to take a snap shot.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

That was also something I thought could have been doing the damage. Although I've searched it with my antivirus and malwarebytes it might have not been picked up by them.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

My laptop did actually overheat this one time, but I do have a cooling platform if that's what it's called to prevent it but you never know. And thinking about it I'll leave it at night again, with the same things open while monotoring it and I'll see what happens.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

Little update, was watching a stream on my laptop while making music and it just froze. I just don't know what it can be because it wasnt actually overheating, it was as cool as ever...

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Did you try the steps i asked you to perform???
IMO, your hard disk is failing or malfunctioning or some process is causing high (100%) disk usage. Try hdtune pro and look at the smart attributes. I guarantee you that the problem is linked to your hard disk drive.

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

I have done as you asked but it still crashed. Only thing I havent done is the download of that program since I don't know much about it, but using CCleaner I've fixed the registry problems, at least it said it did... Well i have to see if it crashes when I leave it on tonight.

Sohom

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

ok, i want to point out one thing, when the cpu is 100%, the computer freezes but you can move your mouse most of the time, but when there is a spike in hard disk usage, then everything freezes.....

Doutor

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

Then I do believe it's hard drive related, because everything freezes and I'm unable to move my mouse so