Windows 10 hiding users at login

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hi all, value your help as I think this must be a setting, but I really can't find it...?

One of our PCs (running Windows 10 Enterprise) has taken to only showing a subset of the its user accounts at login. Making a new user account doesn't help - the new account is also hidden.

How can I make it show them all at login? A user account that cannot be logged into is obviously unusable.

The PC started doing this without warning - the main user of this PC came to me to say he'd lost his User Account. But it is there, listed in Control Panel, but not accessable

Windows does list the 'Other Use' at login, for reasons unkwown as well.

How can I force Windows to list all the User Accounts...?

Solution
The user isn't logging into a domain, is he?

You can attempt to make the user profile active using the command prompt. You'll need to log in as an administrator, search "cmd" in the Windows search field (in the start menu), right-click on "command prompt" and then select "Run as administrator."

At the prompt, type: net user "username" /active:yes

Insert the profile name in "username" and don't include the quotation marks. If it says it completed successfully, reboot or log out and see if the account shows up.

mwryder55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
The policy may have been changed to not show the previous user, making it so that the user must choose other user and then enter their user name and password. We have some computers set up that way for PCI compliance.

The user isn't logging into a domain, is he?

You can attempt to make the user profile active using the command prompt. You'll need to log in as an administrator, search "cmd" in the Windows search field (in the start menu), right-click on "command prompt" and then select "Run as administrator."

At the prompt, type: net user "username" /active:yes

Insert the profile name in "username" and don't include the quotation marks. If it says it completed successfully, reboot or log out and see if the account shows up.

Solution

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
yeah, i believe it's a security issue. you don't really want to advertise the normal users for someone to try to hack into, right? users have fingers and can type. you can tell them to stop crying for me. or to cry me a river.

This seems to be a common mishap since the 1803 update to Win 10. Here's a guide outlining a somewhat technical/convoluted way of displaying the users at the login screen, let us know if this works (or if you find something else that works): https://www.top-password.com/blog/make-windows-10-8-show-all-user-accounts-on-login-screen/