Solved! Windows 10 Internet Connection Sharing is slow?

Feb 27, 2019
I've got a laptop with wi-fi that gets about 50-60 Mb/s download. Using an ethernet cable, I've connected it to a desktop PC. I enabled Internet Connection Sharing to use the PC, but I only get about 5-6 Mb/s. Does anyone have experience with these things? I have tried many things to improve the connection and I'm not sure if it's an issue to be resolved on the PC or the laptop end. I have a fine connection to big services like YouTube, but I get an unusable connection in online games and to my buddy's server.

Solution
It sounds like you aren't going to be able to get the speed you want through the means you are trying. To be honest, I don't know anyone who does. The computers usually limit the amount the attached device can get.

It would be much simpler to get yourself an USB WiFi and connect that to the desktop. They are cheap and it will allow you better access and the ability for both devices to use the best speed at the same time.
It sounds like you are connecting the laptop directly to the computer to get access? Why? You should be just connecting to your modem's/router's WiFi which should give you a much better connection.

Granted, often a direct Ethernet connection is better, but not when connecting two devices to each other.

Unless of course you meant to say something else and not that you are actually connected to the computer but are instead using WiFi to connect the laptop.

If that is the case, then you would need to check the WiFi connection though other devices as well and see if they get a better speed or not. Now if the other device(s) get a better speed, then your own laptop's WiFi may be the problem. I would then try the following...

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
  7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
  8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  9. Now click "Manage known networks".
  10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
  11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
  12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
  13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

Also, you might want to check that both your modem/router doesn't have a limitation on how many devices can be connected at once (they do have that option in most cases) and also your ISP. Some of them limit the number of devices.

Feb 27, 2019
Thanks for the reply, but my issue is to do with Windows 10 "Internet Connection Sharing." As in I have no ethernet access or wifi access on my pc. I use the laptop's connection to access the internet. The laptop works well, but the pc does not. I'm not sure what is throttling the flow from the laptop.

I see. So it is the reverse of what I asked (not laptop through PC but PC through laptop).

The information would be the same though, just in reverse of which device is which.

I am curious though. You say the computer has no Ethernet access, but if there is a modem/router (which you would need to have to get WiFi or Ethernet to work with the laptop, then you should be able to connect the computer itself directly. That is, if you can connect it via Ethernet. Even older computers have Ethernet ports.

Feb 27, 2019
I see. So it is the reverse of what I asked (not laptop through PC but PC through laptop).

The information would be the same though, just in reverse of which device is which.

I am curious though. You say the computer has no Ethernet access, but if there is a modem/router (which you would need to have to get WiFi or Ethernet to work with the laptop, then you should be able to connect the computer itself directly. That is, if you can connect it via Ethernet. Even older computers have Ethernet ports.

I'm in uni bro the router is not in question :/

It sounds like you aren't going to be able to get the speed you want through the means you are trying. To be honest, I don't know anyone who does. The computers usually limit the amount the attached device can get.

It would be much simpler to get yourself an USB WiFi and connect that to the desktop. They are cheap and it will allow you better access and the ability for both devices to use the best speed at the same time.

Solution