Windows 10 is Meaninglessly Slow

kamar33

Great
Jul 14, 2018
Hi,
I have just bought an Acer A515-51G-388J Laptop which has I3 6006U-4 GB DDR4 RAM-940 MX GPU. It came with Endless OS but I installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I installed all drivers and updates(1803). But when I try to open file explorer from taskbar, nothing happening for 5 seconds and then stars working. This is same for start menu or Microsoft Photos app.

4 GB RAM may cause some problems but is it not enough for file explorer too? As I saw in forums lots of people are using Windows 10 with 4 GB RAM without having any problem.

I downloaded Windows Iso from Microsoft and used sfc /scannow to scan it. There is no problem. I saw lots of videos for making Windows 10 faster but doesn't my laptop already should run Windows 10 in normal speed?

What should I do to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Yes I agree the things you've said about SSD. But. Actually I solved that problem last night.

I changed the shorcut directory to C:/Wındows/explorer.exe. You can check your pc if you want to. First try to Win+E and look how fast is file explorer opening, and open it from taskbar and check it again. If there is a difference you can try this solution.

But I still have some other problems too.. For example when I try to fullscreen a video on youtube it...

hamzagozamreek

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
Replace the HDD to try and eliminate it
If u replaced it and you are still getting this problem then install an older version of windows
Try windows 7
Or download an older verson of win10

drea.drechsler

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
The problem is your processor: I3-6006U. 2Gig, 15W TDP processor. That's not enough to run a smart phone much less modern bloat-ware like Win10 Home. I suspect it's on a 5400rpm drive too so that 4Gig of ram leaves it swapping to a slow spinner.

Good luck. Keep your coffee cup full, or load up a good Linux distro if you can find one that works on your laptop.

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
windows 10 works just fine on 4 gigs of ram. i run 4 gigs in my HTPC with windows 10 @ 4k and its even good for light gaming. as said above me, replace the HDD with an SSD and you'll notice a massive difference. windows 10 and spinning hard drives do not get along very well and ends up being painfully slow.

i'd like to add that i disagree that the processor is the problem. i've run windows 10 on significantly slower CPUs than that without any issue. currently have windows 10 running on an 11 year old dual core e6750 with 4gb of ram and an SSD and it works perfectly well for general use. my kids use the machine to play web games and some Windows Store games.

kamar33

Great
Jul 14, 2018

Thanks for answering. Actually It is a new laptop and I dont know I will get a guarantee problem or not if I replace HDD. And I tried windows 7 but I have some driver problem and I opened another topic for this problem --> No Windows 7 Drivers
I will add this to my first message too.

Thanks for answering. But I dont think this problem is because of 4 GB RAM or my CPU. My friend is using W10 on a very old i5 M430 and 4 GB ram laptop.

You are right and an SSD would be perfect but I should be able to open a file explorer faster than 5 seconds with a HDD :)

drea.drechsler

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

The big difference: i5 430m is a 2.26G, 35w tdp processor. Laptops pay very close attention to TDP and will throttle the processor anytime it exceeds the rating since they have barely adequate cooling at best. That 35w tdp means it will hold speed way after your 15W, 2Ghz beast is throttling itself to a standstill.

IpC's mean nothing if you've no C's to I in.

kamar33

Great
Jul 14, 2018

I am able to run PUBG Mobile Emulator and play it with good performance but not able to open a file explorer faster than 5 seconds ? How can it be possible? I am not waiting a super performance but at least I should be able to use windows's normal functions

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008

5 seconds doesn't sound unusual for a HDD in windows 10, in my experience. my home theater box (a ryzen 5, 6 core) started life with a 5400 rpm HDD and it took multiple seconds, or more, to do anything at all. anything. the problem is windows 10 is always doing background tasks and it grinds that hard drive. can last hours and hours on an HDD. i switched to a cheap ADATA ssd, cloned my drive over, and now the whole computer boots from cold in like 15 seconds and the whole computer is as fast as it should be. the computer went from 100% disk usage nearly always (according to Task Manager) to practically nothing. I am yet to see any other computer with windows 10 and an HDD to not behave this way. i've personally seen close to a dozen machines do this. HDD to SSD with windows 10 is a night and day difference.

kamar33

Great
Jul 14, 2018

Yes I agree the things you've said about SSD. But. Actually I solved that problem last night.

I changed the shorcut directory to C:/Wındows/explorer.exe. You can check your pc if you want to. First try to Win+E and look how fast is file explorer opening, and open it from taskbar and check it again. If there is a difference you can try this solution.

But I still have some other problems too.. For example when I try to fullscreen a video on youtube it waits seconds and then goes fullscreen. Same for exiting and it is just for youtube, not for any other site.

Solution

drea.drechsler

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

Perhaps this should be taken to the Windows10 forum. They may be able to help you fix your installation since that seems to be at the core of your problem.