Windows 10 May Share Your Wi-Fi Password with Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
iv'e literally turned off all the spyware features in windows 10 (i hope) including this.
there was an awful lot of allow microsoft to see this and send microsoft that. now im all for them improving there products but really it does seem like we traded privacy for a free o.s. and if it wasnt labelled microsoft it would likely be labled spyware in some respects...

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
its to make you personal computer a public computer - how else can they keep tabs on your activity's ?? heck you maybe a member of isis and they need to know for your protection ..

is that not the trend of things these days ?? privacy = you must be doing illegal acts and if your not then why are you worried about it , right ??

like keeping records of your phone and e-mails , think on who really cares about them ?? hmmm... folks who are looking to do you some kind of harm . unless you were looking to dig up dirt then why would anyone care or need them ??

Lanfall

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Stop spreading FUD and running around like Chicken Little.

You missed the part where it says "For networks I select.." Nothing gets shared even if Wi-Fi sense is on unless you physically share it YOURSELF.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
as long as you feel that way then your fine and it all good ?? main thing is why is it there to start with ?? is turning it off just to give you piece of mind ??
or is it when you online its still active? you have no way of knowing.. if any security was of issue then none of that would be built in the software to start with . I'm sure if needed to they can override your setting to take a peek.. is windows 10 near a live os anyway ?? I don't recall xp vista or 7 needing internet or Microsoft account in order to use them and activate it ??

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

While I wouldn't exactly call it spyware, considering the data isn't transmitted back to Microsoft, you're right to be skeptical of a free update. Then again, Apple's made their OS updates free as well. Maybe people just don't value a system update, especially one that could break/change the features they are used to.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
-''data isn't transmitted back to Microsoft'' ok show me what guarantees you have to back that up ??

think on this - 911 when the planes hit the towers Microsoft was at the Whitehouse as fast as the president -- look at 10 security features - facial -fingerprint - iris scan sign in -- now who uses that and would love to add the there data base ?? homeland security .. 2+2 still = 4 . [all know published facts]

maybe I'm wrong but to many coincidence adding up here like I said above about the phone and e-mail collecting whats to stop them here collecting these things as well ??? just seems pretty suspect to me ..

you don't have to use it but how many will and that's wht there counting on .... best just dont run it on your hard drive to start with ...

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Microsoft is vague about its role in sharing passwords through Wi-Fi Sense. It's not clear from the official FAQ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq whether a password, or a hashed version of that password, is transmitted to the network's user-to-be, or what exactly is used to log onto a Wi-Fi network for the first time.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
well for me i'll stick with my old xp-vista- and 7 its not the greatest but it don't leave me wide open it don't need the internet it don't need a windows live account or what ever 10 requires - nothing [opinion]

Pat D

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
I was on the reserved list for Win10 but after reading many articles to get a clearer & hopefully unbiased opinion I took myself off the reserve list for many reasons & stayed with my Win7Pro.. From what I read in the articles & from those that commented on them "you cannot change any functions & you must take all of the updates M/Soft sends . If you change any functions or refuse updates you void the license for the free upgrade".. I wasn't keen on the 'must take all updates' for one thing & others felt the same & I was more interested in the end users interactions then in M/Soft sales pitch.. My son the IT took the upgrade so he can review it for me & I trust him.. I still have a year to take the *free* thing & during that time all the end users that took it day one can be the live testers & clean it out I'll hang for the time being..

Pat D

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Had this on Windows Phone for 3+ years with no problem... Just and Idea Don't tick the Box to turn it on!!
If you're talking about the update feature I was told you cannot change that you have to take everything with Windows10 if you took the free upgrade.. Just read Mozilla is having a hissy fit because Firefox users that did the Windows10 upgrade lost their settings & limited their 'internet experience'..

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
not had any issues like that Pat D.
now that i have disabled a lot of the stuff i dont want/need the o.s is perfectly decent for my needs of gaming, surfing and a bit 3d rendering.
yeah im sceptical of free, especially when its from Redmond. but so far its been a pain free experience.
other than the 5 hour install (because i chose to keep my files and settings. and having to make changes to ownership of the reserve partition which was a mission in itself) im happy to say its done (for now).

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

ok spyware may be a little strong. i was just a bit surprised at how many things they want to send back to them. im ok with the error logs, but things like my search history, location, location history could be potentially abused and sorry to say with the way the nsa and gchq have been acting recently i dont trust any corperation not to give that information up... not that i have anything to hide. i just like what little privacy i have left in my own home to be private. :D

uk

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
This seems like a serious privacy issue. This option will be a boon for people freeloading others Internet.
Even if one disables WiFi sense for their system a friend whom you gave the password to, might have it enable thereby allowing his/her friends whom you wont even know to use your Internet.
Broadband in many countries have data cap on it. So unknown people can simply eat through others limited data.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
''now that i have disabled a lot of the stuff i dont want/need'' goes back to whay I said above - why is it in there to start with ?? why not give a clean streamed line os and make them things optional - if you want them then go download it ??? you can turn off all the things you want but its still a live os and can be turned on or still running if needed to check up on you .. all backdoor snoopware .. this is why its core part of the os ??

' i chose to keep my files and settings''

I like this part here

If you don't have a Microsoft account already, do create one as it will allow you to save your existing settings and all your files to the cloud (on Microsoft's OneDrive), files that you will then be able to recover after installing Windows 10. Create that account BEFORE you start the installation.

You don't actually need a Microsoft account to install Windows 10 (but then you will probably need to document your login details); the vendor made it more difficult to complete the installation of Windows 10 without getting one first

so it put you files on a ''public'' server - or experience more pain in the butt use??

but then I guess folks who find thes thing great put there and family's life on face book anyway ..

beardedtexan

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

How might one go about doing all of that? I just installed 10 on my laptop from 8.1 this morning. I really don't want to give out information especially on Facebook.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
under the settings privacy tab 1s your insatll is complete. you can select what is enabled and disabled during the install 2 but theres not as many options and most people will choose the default setup.

as for the microsoft account junkeymonkey referes to, i dont have 1 and i disabled 1 drive straight away.
so i dunno where you got that from but i had no such issue. then again i actually use very little of the inbuilt o.s features. i certainly wont be using the store as everything i want to do can be done software from other vendors.

i would say im not to impressed at how intrusive the m.s store is when your just trying to open something as simple as a text file for the first time.
i had to un-hide the apps that i normally use (notepad). but the first ad most blatant option was connect to the store to see what apps can open this file...

fact is there are a few things that are starting to niggle me now and thats only after 2 days of use.

im not ready to go back to windows 7 just yet. but if i cant start tweaking this stuff out i may well do by the end of next month.

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
from Microsoft ? this stuff is reported all over the web and easy to find ? see thing is disabled ''after'' its installed

I just googled [with google ] installing windows 10 and installing windows 10 oem , funny Microsoft don't come up ??

then you go here to look at the agreement guide and you got to sign in to look at it ?? how cheap is that ?? nothing but a run a round

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx#fbid=6kC8Fkbsq7e

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-upgrade-activate-help#install-upgrade-activate-help=windows-7&v1h=winrttab1&v2h=win8tab1&v3h=win7tab1&v4h=winvistatab1

and this is the big no way jose

For consumers and small business, Windows 10 delivers automatic updates, with no option to selectively delay or reject individual updates. “The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. … By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

whats real funny is how all I google to review this stuff Microsoft never comes up ??

then here . what ?? so this is not a standalone os ?? upgrade only ?? I yet to fin anything out side that ??

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

bottom line is why would I take a solid working os like 7 and screw everything up over a crap os like this to start with ?? silly

ya, I would have to really hate your guts to recommend something like 10 to use -- no easy to find solid documentation - leaves you wide open - you got to be crazed to install and trust something like this 10 ?

like I said it turns your personal computer in to a public computer -- anyway enjoy -- and hope the best for you ...

please give solid info links to dispute what I say I would like to read up on it if I'm way to far off wrong -- thanks

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
well now i am angry with win 10. a lot of the settings i disabled yesterday have spontaneously been enabled again without my knowledge or permission.
windows store for instance. keeps popping upin taskmanager and connecting to outbound ports on 433 and 80. to some server called atacarma technologies.
cortana keeps restarting if i disable it from taskmanager as well even though i have disabled it from settings... it seems this is spyware and not an o.s.

any suggestions from the community are welcome coz im just about ready to boot this crap off my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.