Windows 7:Screen just sits there when I click INSTALL Updates

venetiancat

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
When I click to install updates MANUALLY, the screen just sirs there at 0 kb/o% installed. Nothing happens. Tried WSUS offline, nothing happened either other than an error message. When I click "try again", same thing.

Solution

Hello, venetiancat:

Hopefully, the problem is a question of patience, as suggested by Herc08.

But you could also be in for a world of frustration, like I was a few months ago with my Win7 machine. The short version: Windows Update will at some point install an 'updated' Updater. This Updater wreaks havoc with most machines necessitating adjustments in Windows files that are described on numerous web sites, and also addressed by Microsoft. I can't remember the exact solution - mainly because I just...

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
It takes a while for Windows Updates to take place. I would recommend leaving on automatic and Update now and doing it overnight. Have you updated before on that machine?

Hello, venetiancat:

Hopefully, the problem is a question of patience, as suggested by Herc08.

But you could also be in for a world of frustration, like I was a few months ago with my Win7 machine. The short version: Windows Update will at some point install an 'updated' Updater. This Updater wreaks havoc with most machines necessitating adjustments in Windows files that are described on numerous web sites, and also addressed by Microsoft. I can't remember the exact solution - mainly because I just decided to ignore it (I'm not using Win7 for anything important anymore).

Here's a YouTube video that outlines a (possible) solution to your problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfc22x3I_s

Windows 7 starts at the 6-minute mark. You'll notice that there are many YT videos on this subject to choose from.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution