Windows 7: Something wrong with booting my computer

Noob At HardWare

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
So this just started happening with the booting of my computer. Yesterday, I realized that the booting of my computer has suddenly has gone incredibly slow. So I immediately try to fix it. Now something has gone wrong. Everytime I boot my computer it just either goes into Windows Startup Repair or if I try to ignore that and just select Normal Windows Startup it just restarts the computer.
I decided to try to do the Startup Repair and to my surprise it doesn't work. I tried restarting my computer and then trying it again, yet the same thing keeps happening. I found out that it has something to do with my hard drive. It shows that everytime I boot my computer that it goes in a very critical state (Found out from Event Viewer).
So now I'm deciding to get a new Hard Drive because nothing seems to be working and I want to see if anyone knows the answer to my problem just before I buy a new one.

Solution
In either step you won't be just 'copying the drive over', you will have to do a clean FACTORY RESTORE in both options. You can get your 'data' (NOT PROGRAMS) by simply getting a External HDD, then run Windows Easy Transfer to backup your Documents, desktop, videos, etc. When your done resetting up your HDD in both suggestions your last step would be to plug in the HDD and run WET again to restore the data.

My common steps I use are
The normal process would then be:
1) use ext drive and run Windows Easy Transfer to backup your data and settings.
2) Create a DBAN CD
3) Wipe the drive, then install Windows 7
4) Now start the LONG process of all the applications,
5) Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and...
Nope you found your answer most likely; either Windows needs to be cleanly reinstalled (make a Factory Restore DVD, wipe the drive with DBAN, reinstall Factory fresh) OR the HDD itself s failing so no matter what Windows does it won't work on broken parts.

Noob At HardWare

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

I don't want to factory restore my PC because I have important files on my Hard Drive.

In either step you won't be just 'copying the drive over', you will have to do a clean FACTORY RESTORE in both options. You can get your 'data' (NOT PROGRAMS) by simply getting a External HDD, then run Windows Easy Transfer to backup your Documents, desktop, videos, etc. When your done resetting up your HDD in both suggestions your last step would be to plug in the HDD and run WET again to restore the data.

My common steps I use are
The normal process would then be:
1) use ext drive and run Windows Easy Transfer to backup your data and settings.
2) Create a DBAN CD
3) Wipe the drive, then install Windows 7
4) Now start the LONG process of all the applications,
5) Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVIRA (I highly recommend), Comodo, Panda or AVG (AVAST! got hacked so I do NOT recommend them). and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials or have REPEATEDLY replied that it was Norton getting in the way.
6) Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.
7) Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean (some software 'add garbage')
8) Install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.
9) Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update
10) THEN FINALLY plug in the EXT HDD run Windows Easy Transfer to RESTORE your files, wallpaper, shortcuts, etc. REBOOT - DONE!

Solution

Noob At HardWare

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

But here's the problem right now :\ I get what you're trying to do but I can't even access my desktop at the moment because whenever I boot my computer. I'm in a endless loop, either I go to Windows Startup Repair (Which doesn't work at all) or I can just go straight to Normal Windows ( Which just shows me a black screen and then the PC reboots itself again). I try pressing F8 and the going into safe mode. The same thing happens and then the computer restarts itself again.

Then you have only a couple options:
1) Take it to a IT SHOP that is much more technically savvy then yourself to do all the things that will need to be done and have all the extra 'parts' to do it
2) Take out the drive and using a USB to SATA adapter plug it into another computer, with your EXT HD, copy over your C:\Users\MyName\Documents, Pictures, etc. to your EXT HD BUT you won't get everything "just like I have it" because fonts, background images, etc. are all over the drive and it is impossible (as I first mentioned) to just 'drag and drop' everything due to how Windows has worked since Vista's release. This is very manual and time consuming process. Once done, put the drive back and do step 2 forward but when you need your 'stuff' in the end you will again need to just copy from the EXT Drive.

Lesson learned : IF it is THAT important, YOU should back it up TWICE. One place as a backup second as a emergency. You backup regularly and often.

Noob At HardWare

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Nah, I didn't need to do that. I fixed it myself. It runs perfectly now and is possibly faster than before this happened to it. :) Thanks for the help!

DigginDon

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015

DigginDon

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Ok noob, you say that you fixed it yourself and it runs perfect now...so what did you do? You never said what you did to finally fix the problem with the start up repair loop. I am having this problem now and have tried to dban and reinstall Windows. Nothing working for me. Just keeps going back to the same infinite loop. Please tell me what you did to fix it! I don't have the money to buy a new computer. Thanks.

If you did a new wipe and reinstall of Windows and after it installed went into a endless loop, that is most likely A) your CD your using is scratched , download and burn a new copy from Windows.com with your license OR if this is a Windows that came with your computer (Dell, HP, etc.) call the company and order a new copy (yes they will charge you) or B) your hard drive is failing, if a simple install results in a endless boot then the harddrive (the place your putting the software on) is dying.

This is all of course based on this isn't a "downloaded copy" of Windows. And lastly, the cost of a BRAND NEW generic under warranty computer, LAPTOP or DESKTOP @ Walmart $249. Brand new copy of WIndows 8.1 $179. Cost to bring in for repair and not requiring any new parts $149+ Best Buy.

Computers are now like Cell Phones and 'disposable' cost wise when they suffer a 'big problem'.