Windows 8.1, 64bit safe to run on HP Compaq 615?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
hey everyone,

So i have a HP Compaq 615 which had windows xp 32bit installed on it. ive managed to install windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and it ran like a dream, now ive gone and installed windows 8.1 pro 64bit which im not 100% if i should have or not but im typing this now with it...palms are a little sweaty.

Should i have done this, it does heat up, i installed it 24hrs ago...about 3 hours usage after install i felt it was that hot i had to power down. the next morning i powered up and went to power managment and done the nesessery steps, i went into bios and my fan is marked as always on.

i use avg pro, malware bytes premium and ccleaner pro, same tools ive used for years

my hp compaq 615 specs...
WINDOWS 8.1
SYSTEM TYPE - x64 based processor.
PROCESSOR - AMD Athlon(tm)X2 Dual Core QL-66
PROCESSOR SPEED - 2.20 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
HDD 320 GB

Im no expert on pcs/laptops more an android os dude but i understand instructions...
...anything i should be looking out for here...is this laptop going to have a meltdown lol i just dont want do be doing damage

im also using "Open Hardware Monitor" software to see if i can see anything scary looking, i cannot see any fan info and everything looks fine apart from the temperatures of dual core processors which todays highest was 90% and lowest was 49% moving on average between 60 and 80%.

thanks for any help.

ffg7

Splendid
the only advantage for 32bit windows I know of is to allow you to run older programs that ran ok in win98 upto xp. ran into that problem with a customer when I upgraded her system to 64bit win7, 1 or 2 of her programs would not run until I installed virtual xp. on her husband's new tower, I installed 32bit win7 so that his old house design program for win98 would still work. this tower I'm typing on has 4gigs of ram but is 32bit win7 because of a data recovery program that won't work in 64bit mode.

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
so do you think im ok running windows 8.1 x64 on this laptop and setup? i do plan on cleaning the fan more...possibly replace it, il get a good cooling pad and apply new thermal grease to cpu. ive no issues on programs i run not working my temp doesnt go past 90c but usualy floats between 60 and 80c...

...think il be ok and il let this issue rest?