Windows 8.1 VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR BSOD

k111_7h3_n0153

Estimable
May 20, 2015
Had issues with my NVIDIA GPU running on Windows 10, so i downgraded back to Windows 8.1. The previous issues have been resolved, but in place of them, I am getting a BSOD which occurs only 30 seconds after signing in after restarting. After the BSOD happens, the listing for my NVIDIA GPU in device manager is gone. The only way to get it back is to take apart my laptop and re-seat it. Then, after 30 seconds, it BSODs with VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR, then is gone. I'm currently running off of my integrated Intel card, and it works fine. Does anyone know what is going on?

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
The error message VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR is displayed when the Microsoft DirectX graphics kernel subsystem has detected a violation. One of the driver might be corrupt and hence it might not function normally and could have caused this violation.

I got this from here: Windows Fourm That should be helpful,( It's pointless to paste the whole thread so I'm just linking it.)

k111_7h3_n0153

Estimable
May 20, 2015

issue with that solution is i formatted my entire hard drive when i downgraded, and i dont think refreshing my laptop through windows settings would do anything different from what ive already done.

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

So the common theme here is that everyone having this problem is using nvidia graphics, my Acer Nitro 17 with the 860m gpu has been doing this a lot. I was forced to snag an official driver relased on the acer site for the model after mine since it was newer and from mid October. Since I have installed that and verified file cache on my steam games direct X reinstalled and so far no problems. I will be trying the most recent driver just to rule out if that is the culprit or if it was just direct x. Gaming laptops shouldn't have to rely on older drivers.
Are your drivers current?

k111_7h3_n0153

Estimable
May 20, 2015

according to my laptop i dont have any nvidia drivers installed because it couldnt detect a nvidia gpu. my intel card is up to date, and so is everything else according to a driver software i use to keep driver up to date. it seems to be specifically a nvidia issue

Signalll

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

There's your issue lol.

k111_7h3_n0153

Estimable
May 20, 2015

im just going to buy a new computer. this seems to be an issue with the card/motherboard itself.