Windows 8 for gaming?

Solution
A word of warning....

Do not upgrade yet to Windows 8.1 if you are buying a laptop with just Windows 8. There is an issue with Windows 8.1 which seems to disable switchable graphics when you have an Intel CPU and a AMD Radeon graphics chip.

I am in the middle of reformatting a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop for a relative which has an Intel i5-4200u and a Radeon HD 8850m because the laptop crashing very often. I did a clean install of Win 8 and installed some anti-virus / anti-malware programs on the laptop and I also upgraded it to Win 8.1.

I discovered the Latitude had a Radeon HD 8850 when I was looking through Device Manager. Apparently, a factor re-install does not automatically install AMD Catalyst drives. I decided to install the...

AMD-FX

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Who ever told you Windows 8 was bad for gaming was wrong. Benchmarks show that Windows 8 performs slightly better in gaming than Windows 7. And by Windows 7 interface, do you mean the desktop? Just press the Windows key or the Desktop tile on the Start menu.

aakarshan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Nope how to get the windows7 UI in Windows 8.

AMD-FX

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Oh. Well, I have no idea how to put the Windows 7 UI... I think. Sorry I couldn't help on that part.

aakarshan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
:)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Once you go into Desktop, it looks and acts VERY much like 7. The only time I interact with the Metro portion is when I call it up. Otherwise, never see it.

Most used applications pinned on the taskbar, no need for Tiles.

A word of warning....

Do not upgrade yet to Windows 8.1 if you are buying a laptop with just Windows 8. There is an issue with Windows 8.1 which seems to disable switchable graphics when you have an Intel CPU and a AMD Radeon graphics chip.

I am in the middle of reformatting a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop for a relative which has an Intel i5-4200u and a Radeon HD 8850m because the laptop crashing very often. I did a clean install of Win 8 and installed some anti-virus / anti-malware programs on the laptop and I also upgraded it to Win 8.1.

I discovered the Latitude had a Radeon HD 8850 when I was looking through Device Manager. Apparently, a factor re-install does not automatically install AMD Catalyst drives. I decided to install the most current driver from Dell's website so I can test it out with some games. However, before installing games, I created an image of the C: drive so that I could simply restore it later without the games.

When playing games the laptop would always use the Intel HD 4400 graphics core, not the dedicated Radeon HD 8850m graphics chip. I tested Skyrim, Civilization 5, Star Trek Online, and Far Cry 3. All of them used the Intel HD 4400 even though I setup AMD's Catalyst Control Center always use the Radeon HD 8850m for everything, including web browsing.

Since my uncle does not play games, I am pretty sure he is not even aware the laptop has a dedicated graphics card especially since I looked at what programs where installed before deciding to do a clean install of Win 8.

So my advice before upgrading to Windows 8.1 is to do some research to determine if this issue is resolved.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS