Windows 8 Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
why can't this just be an article with thumbnails we can click on? Then I could read everything faster and click the image if interested.

computerfarmer

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Your article reminds me of Windows 8. Having to get to the next page by going to the top instead of the bottom to continue reading. Now that's out of the way.
All of the information is good to know. Most of us purchase a system with Windows 8 already installed on it. Boot up and try and install a program we want to use. After a few hiccups it is installed. Then we try and find where to click on to open the program because there is no clear direction where to go. By now we find out you need to go to a different screen. Then we want to get back to the original screen and go there another learning curve. I personally used windows 8 for 2 month and was happy to go back to windows 7. Not sure what going to windows 8 helps with?

paulmacey

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
The All Apps screen has so many icons on it (after I installed my basic set of programs) that it's hard to find anything.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Installed Classic Shell. Disabled and hid Metro. This automatically makes 90% of these "tips and tricks" worthless.

The only thing I miss is the new right-click menu near the start menu. But I don't miss it that much because I have most (all?) of those functions elsewhere.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The main issue I have with Windows 8 is that when you attempt to move the mouse cursor from the left monitor to the right, if you're too close to the corners on the left screen then you get the charms bar appearing. You can disable the charms bar on the right monitor, but I think I'd prefer to disable it on the left one. I'm sure this can be tweaked, though.

There is one other issue - if you wish to open a piece of software via the "Metro" interface twice, you need to open the second copy as a new window. I don't think this is an issue if you religiously stick to desktop mode.

bigsten

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Both your Windows 8 Apps have stopped working. They crash and close just after they have loaded. Shame as they are very good.
So much hate for W8, just because you use it in a slightly different way. I guess dinosaur's don't like change.

jamesj350

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I have been using home computers since the very early 80's.
I can't see why the haters post these comments against Windows 8, It makes me think you all can't move forward. Too bad, it is a great O.S., just takes a bit of time to get used to. I use Linux distributions as well as the Microsoft programs. What I don't use is Mac. But I would suggest that you complainers switch to Mac. They will take care of you and you won't have to think at all.

tslynge

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Substituting /t with /r doesn't help for restarting. The description is wrong, at least in the danish Win8. To make the shortcut work with regards to restarting the PC, you'd have to use: "shutdown /r /t 0" (omitting the quotes)

Kirsch

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Win8 is a great OS. Takes less than an afternoon to getting used to. Could it be better? Yes, and it probably will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.