Windows does not recognize my new laptop screen

Chad_16

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hey, I am having issues with a new lcd screen I bought for my laptop. I have a MSI laptop and I accidentally hit the screen with my hand one day and cracked it. I called MSI to get a new one, but they told me it would be upwards to $400 to get and I would be out of a laptop for about a month.

The guy told me to check eBay and Amazon because they had monitors for sale that would work with mine. That is what I ended up doing.

The seller asked me for the serial number and other information about the LCD screen to ensure that I would in fact get the correct one. They sent it to me, I installed it, and it won't turn on. I contacted the seller and they re-verified with me that the one they sent will work.

Under Device Manager, it shows that Windows sees the LCD screen, but it shows it as this:
Digital Flat Panel (1024x768 60Hz)

That doesn't seem to make sense though because the dimensions of that type of monitor is much more square in shape than the one I have.

I updated my graphic driver from the MSI website and it still isn't resolved. Any idea what would be causing this? Any help would be fantastic.

My computer specs are the following:

• Windows 10 Home
    Intel Core i7-4810MQ @2.80GHz
    32GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 870M w/ 6GB Dedicated Memory

Solution
When you put the ribbon cable into the back of the screen, you sometimes have to clip a tiny brass bar back into place or the connection won't be properly made.
Sounds like that entry in Device Manager is referring to the extrnal monitor you're using to run with the laptop.

The ribbon cable connectors on laptop screens are very temperamental if not fitted properly. Take it out and carefully compare it to the original then when you put it back, take care to connect it properly and check it works before fitting all the screws and surrounding panels.

Chad_16

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Alright, sorry about the delay in response. Something came up over the weekend. So, the external monitor I am using is a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. As far as I can tell, the ribbon is connected correctly. I've not screwed it in yet because I wanted to make sure it worked.

There are three stickers on the back of the monitor. I sent them pictures of each one. The first is a barcode starting with 1407Z. The second barcode has a number starting with 2UU3472 and the third is another barcode but with more info. That barcode has the following information:

N173HGE - L11 Rev. C1
KWC1B01474200SQ
CP517709-01
01A
B
00A100

here is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00IPHI8EU/