Windows freezing on startup, HDD stops hangs

dbug

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Hello guys,

I've recently encountered a problem with my computer and I rarely can't solve the problem myself but this time I need some expert help.
My computer started to freeze in about 5 minutes after startup. I was looking for the source of the problem and I think it was my hard drive. Task manager performance show that my disk was at 100% active time but 0 read and write activity.
After numerous hard resets from the power button I tried it in safe mode and everything worked fine, so I figured it was a software problem.

Here's what I've tried:
I checked the drivers but all seemed fine.
I did sfc /scannow and everything was in order.
I did Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, CheckHealth and RestoreHealth but no results.
I check my disk with S.M.A.R.T. and still came up with no errors.
I did a Lenovo hardware check from my BIOS but no errors were found.
I changed the BIOS to default values and no changes were made.
I did a clean boot and windows started working fine, but a few changes to startup services and everything goes freezing again.

Finally, since I was able to enter safe mode, I did a backup and decided to do a system restore to factory settings. At first I did quick restore and tried to reinstall windows from start but installation would hang at creating new account, so I thought maybe something was not removed and some software on recovery disk was still corrupt and I did a full disk wipe which took about 6 hours.
When I finally got a clean slate for my disk I tried the installation again but it would still hang at some point. I tried installing with no internet connection, with existing account, with new account and it seemed like disk always stopped working at some point.
After hours of trying I finally managed to get through entire installation and when I got into a freshly installed windows it would do the same. Freeze after a few minutes into the system.
I checked the sypthoms and they were all the same as before.

I boot my computer into the safe mode again and do a clean boot. So far the system is working if no services are started but the microsoft's one.
Is this the point where I need to go buy a new hard drive or should I just try service by service where it crashes.
I am using this computer for personal use and for work and I really need to know if this could happen again. Is this a disk error or is the disk fine? S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics says my disk has been on for about 8k hours.
I currenly have no softwares installed as the windows is freshly installed.

Computer is a Lenovo laptop E530:
8GB RAM
1TB HDD + 16GB SSD (Hybrid disk)
Intel i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
First time the problem occured on Windows 8.1 but the factory default windows that I have installed right now is Windows 8 both are 64-bit

If there is any more info that I can provide you with, please let me know, and thank you for your help!

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
1.Make sure you don't have any viruses, run a full virus scan in safe mode with networking. (Download and use an antivirus like malwarebytes)

2.Run a program like ccleaner to fix registry errors and clean your temporary internet folder

3.Run a full disk defragmentation tool, like the one for Windows, but I'd prefer using defraggler from piriform. (I see you have an ssd there, when defragmenting a drive, it will give you the option in defraggler which drive to perform the defragmentation on, choose your hard drive only, do not do it on your ssd)

4. Run msconfig, and go to the startup tab. Disable startup programs that you don't use.

5. If the above steps dont help, open a cmd and type in chkdsk /f c: (choose yes if it prompts you to do chkdsk on reboot. Restart your PC, and let the scan complete

Backup your files from your hard drive to an external backup drive right whenever you can, you don't want your hard drive to fail on you and make your important files unrecoverable

dbug

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Ok, thanks for reminding me, as I was listing things I already did I forgot to write these ones.
Before I did a full disk cleanup I tried fixing registry with CCleaner but didn't help.
I am using malwarebytes, it showed up 4 errors but removing them did not solve the freezing problem.
Should I still defragment after new windows installation? I used the system default defragmantation.
As I said, clean boot is working (I disabled all services not connected with microsoft and all startup programs disabled) but after enabling them back, everything goes back to freezing.
I tried chkdsk /r /f and it would not let me do it while using windows so I did it at the reboot, but the computer would always get stuck at 10% and then I need to power it off again and restart.

Is it possible to have a virus that does not go away with disk formatting?

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Yep, try another defragmentation using defraggler and not the already installed windows defragmenter because for me I notice defraggler is more effective at locating fragmented files.

And no, once you format a drive the virus will be deleted completely from it.

You may also want to open windows update and update your windows to the largest patches. Also you can try opening device manager and updating all of your drivers it could be part of the problem too.

One more thing: Locate the model number of your PC if you bought it from a store
1.Google the official webpage for the PC
2.Enter the official webpage
3.Input your PC model number and it should give you a list of the chipset drivers that you may need to download