Windows Mobile is Dead; Meet Windows Phone 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]I hate the old windows mobile. And I will list why. I sold cellphones for years. In a reception limited area. 1. Typically had less reception than say a blackberry or Motorola.2. resistive touch screen. I dont want to whip out the stylus to do anything, Oh wait I lost the stylus.3. Stylus lost. hitting the x to close something is now damn near impossible.4. I hate the way they sync.5. I dont want to hit send and recieve to get my email. (yes I know you can set it up to do that every so often, but for me that would be every 5 min, and it kills the battery)6. Poor battery life because I forgot to kill processes.7. Oh yeah two many steps to do anything. I dont want to try to click on start, programs, scroll through the list. Just give me the programs already.I am sure there are more, but thats just what I came up with off the top of my head.[/citation]

1. Hardware implementation of the phone, not OS dependent.
2. Just add the driver for resistive touch..? Again, not OS problem, but the developers of physical device&driver.
3. User problem / see #2.
4. User preference? What is it that you hate? I am yet to find a problem with the synch method / ability to browse the device as a drive.
5. You can download a different email client. Application problem not really an OS problem. I like the possibility of being able to get another email client if I want, unlike some other OSs which force one down your throat.
6. This is a first valid point against the OS, and I agree, there should be a prompt to user with option to minimize or quit an application. However single application only policy is not the solution.
7. Also a valid point, streamline and organize options better via a better design control panel can be done.

Unless I misunderstood your points, I only see 2 against WinMo...

G

this is a total game changer for WinMo

I had a HTC Kaiser (Tilt) and its predecessor and I could work it, but it was not usable for anyone but a total techie.

I now own and iPhone and want desperately to get out of the apple ecosystem. I despise being tied to itunes for music sync and how every time i format and reinstall it has to completely resync all music and everything.

I love the web browser and UI on the iPhone and 3 years ago the touchscreen was amazing.......

today I am getting annoyed with the UI. I laugh every time I see the iPhone ATT commercials because it takes like 10x longer to do what they show. The new Win Phone 7 Series UI looks great.

it honestly is how Xbox360, W7 Media Center, Zune ecosystem should have been.....

we can only hope that livesync, live mesh and skydrive... office, W7, WHS and xbox360 will follow in line with the ability for 7 Series to integrate all MS products.

the fact that the zune cannot play .wtv files recorded on a W7 MCE system it completely stupid.

so hopefully the 7 series can play wtv and can sync with a MCE system...

G

For all the people complaining about the program shut down stuff...you can set it to close an app first time you hit the x or personaly i have it set to hold x down to close it and taping x just shunts it to the background.

Also i rarely use my stylus on 6.1 and 6.5, i do hate the lack of start menu in 6.5 but like most things winmo that took about three seconds of forum searching to add back in.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Please, I want some info about Canada...[/citation]
Try here

From what I read on the BBC website, there are a couple of bits such as the look and feel / 'bing button' that will be forced on phone manufacturers. If that's the case it might be a bit of a shame - having a default/supported method but general freedom to change things (e.g. no big picture buttons) would have sounded nicer.
Minimum hardware requirements are a good plan to protect the OS's image though.

killblade

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
well looks like Iphone will be the top system because this looks and sounds like nothing. in ten years time windows will be dead. probably people using this phone will get all the viruses and security problems windows has. this Windows and the google phone don't have the Apps or the dependability of the Iphone and thats just the way it is.

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]No screen pivot? Messy interface? This is going to fail.[/citation]

You might want to watch the video on Channel 9 before you jump to conclusions.

This thing rocks and I want one...NOW!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My Omnia is the perfect phone, unlocked GPS, wifi, bt, everything works. Sometimes it's a little slow if I have too many apps running at once, but other than that it's great. I've of course applied a modified ROM to make it better, but that's the beauty, you can do that to winmo phones!

Of course I don't use it as a phone because I refuse to pay $30 for internet when I have wifi with me 90% of the time. Stupid Verizon....

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
[citation][nom]webdev511[/nom]You might want to watch the video on Channel 9 before you jump to conclusions. This thing rocks and I want one...NOW![/citation]

I did. It looks like a cheap iPhone knockoff. Not only is Microsoft ripping from Apple again, they're ripping the original iPhone interface not the most recent one. No horizontal keyboard + messy interface = fail. Even Apple fixed their crappy vertical keyboard interface for the most part. Android also has a horizontal keyboard setup, the Blackberry is easier to type on, and so forth.

Microsoft needs to differentiate themselves from Apple, not try and play catch up. Everyone at Microsoft knows that they need to make the thing an iPhone killer, not a DOA system like the Zune is.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]killblade[/nom]well looks like Iphone will be the top system because this looks and sounds like nothing. in ten years time windows will be dead. probably people using this phone will get all the viruses and security problems windows has. this Windows and the google phone don't have the Apps or the dependability of the Iphone and thats just the way it is.[/citation]

This has been Apple's view since its existance.

"Windows will eventually die within the next few years because people will be tired of all the viruses and security problems."

We hear it repeated over and over again but for some reason no one else can get ahead for very long. Mainly because when something new comes along all they can do is point out past flaws or flaws that are recurring. Even with the ridiculously disgusting failure that Vista and ME are/were people still come back. And I hear the same reasons for them coming back all the time. No other system offers the level of flexibility that Windows offers. None.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Nothing died, they just changed the branding and the UI.To be precise, winmo 6.x was based on Windows CE 5.2 kernel whilst Win-phone 7 will use Windows Embedded CE 6.0 kernel. The kernel is based on new technology and many components of the OS have been moved into kernel space, but it is reasonable to expect substantial compatibility with older applications. Won't be released for ages yet though, so we'll find out more about what exactly will and won't work on the new OS in the coming months.[/citation]
Woohoo Windows CE. I miss you Dreamcast :(

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]killblade[/nom]well looks like Iphone will be the top system because this looks and sounds like nothing. in ten years time windows will be dead. probably people using this phone will get all the viruses and security problems windows has. this Windows and the google phone don't have the Apps or the dependability of the Iphone and thats just the way it is.[/citation]

Hahahahahaha

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[WP7 includes a dedicated Bing key for searching]

The hyena don't loose his spots...

I see problems for MS in my crystal ball.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]I did. It looks like a cheap iPhone knockoff. Not only is Microsoft ripping from Apple again, they're ripping the original iPhone interface not the most recent one. No horizontal keyboard + messy interface = fail. Even Apple fixed their crappy vertical keyboard interface for the most part. Android also has a horizontal keyboard setup, the Blackberry is easier to type on, and so forth. Microsoft needs to differentiate themselves from Apple, not try and play catch up. Everyone at Microsoft knows that they need to make the thing an iPhone killer, not a DOA system like the Zune is.[/citation]

Funny, I know more people that own the Zune HD than the iPod touch. Most of them were converts. One person shows up with his at work and then over the next week out boards well filled with WTS: iPod Touch notes. I ditched mine and will never look back. The music quality is great, love the OLED screen, battery life is better than the iPod as well. Songs were .79, if you subscribed to Zune Marketplace you have access to the entire music library for nothing and get to keep 10 songs per month. While there are not that many apps in the marketplace yet, there are plenty of apps available for the Zune HD that are not at the marketplace. Just look for them. I have not come across one that has cost anything yet.

If this phone is anything like the Zune HD I am sold.

friskey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Killblade you are an idiot of the first class.
statements like "it looks and sounds like nothing" is just emotional dribble - your crying because apple just got challenged again ! first Android and now MS hurt your precious.

"Probably get Viruses and security problems like windows”
Apple MACS have a tendency of getting there buts kicked at CanSecWest’s PWN 2 OWN hacking contests.

As for stability Linux and Windows can install and run on any hardware that the manufacture has written drivers for .
Macs can only run on Apples hardware and they still crash - because "flash is buggy"
"google phone don’t have apps or the dependability" As If you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.