Windows not booting after updating AMD drivers (no Safe Mode Available)

syngts

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hello people!

I seem to have gotten into some trouble when I tried to update my AMD graphics drivers on a laptop with a integrated Intel 4400 board and a dedicated Radeon HD 8850M gpu.

I tried to install the latest beta 15.4 AMD driver along with all the Catalyst software components. When i tried to uninstall the old drivers, i couldn't get rid of the Catalyst Control Center, so I downloaded the Guru 3D driver sweeper and ran that in Safe Mode. After it completed and rebooted in normal mode, i checked the Device Manager, and instead of showing only the integrated Intel board, it showed a "VGA graphics display adapter" with a yellow warning sign. I proceeded to install the AMD beta driver, thinking it would solve that problem as well. The installation completed successfully and i rebooted the system when specified. However, now when trying to boot into Windows, nothing happens. Normally I would try to boot into Safe Mode, but i cannot do that either, since I have a dual-boot configuration (windows 7 + linux mint). The GRUB boot loader menu shows up, which allows me to choose between booting Linux or Windows, and after i choose Windows i am supposed to press F8 for Safe Mode. Instead, after choosing Windows 7, a black screen appears and it hangs in there.

I hope i have been sufficiently clear, and that a solution exists such that i won't have to reinstall windows.

Thank you!
Andrew