Windows Phone 7 Not Backwards Compatible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I have friends who use portable, hand held, all-in-one devices that use Windows Mobile 6.5. My friends tell me it is not very good. Lets hope MS comes up with something better.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"He cited the company as wanting a clean break from the past, to move from "good" to "great.""

no, you want to move from "good" to "locked and controlled".

its bad enough that you would do this, but doing so just to copy Apple? I have lost all respect for you microsoft, needing to use c# will make it really hard to make cross platform apps. but of course that's what you want, isn't it. people to be lured in by your simple dev platforms and then be put off of porting to other platforms because they have to change languages, effectively buying you "exclusives"... this will make it really hard to have multi platform engines. even the Iphone has c++! I never thought I'd look on the iPhone dev chain favourably! by using Microsoft languages, its even more controlled than the iPhone is. not to mention that c# is highly managed, adding a lot of bloat to these still fairly underpowered devices!

This when we say "we hate the way the iPhone works" and fanboy's respond "so don't buy it" we get pissed. its the precedent that is set. now everyone is doing it, so what do we buy now you idiots?

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Don't know. However businesses already using WinMo 6.x may feel so otherwise.[/citation]

Business use Explorer and Word on their phones, not as if MS wont release new version of those for WIndows Phone 7......

Having said that, I will be waiting for a new version of Phone 7 before upgrading - as 1st issues of a new gen OS always have issues (regardless of who makes the OS).

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Except it's nothing like Vista all over again.

Except you can't put it on your POS $15 wal-mart go phone, they are effectively trying to idiot proof it from you doing that.

Like everyone that tried putting Vista on their Pentium 3 and wondered why it wouldn't go fast, or their lowest end celeron machine running 512MB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.