Windows Phone 7 Preview Phones Coming July 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I cannot wait for this platform to be released. After what has happened with Apple in the past few weeks, it will be refreshing to go back to a platform that "just" works.

*Apple has official destroyed all of my data even though it did a complete backup.. Apple's lack of allowing access to the file structure is another big turn off.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah... this is for people who like the iphone model, but want something that actually works, and a choice in hardware. apps will also be much easier to develop for this BUT! it will be VERY hard to port to and from this platform! something Microsoft is almost certainly counting on ("exclusives?"). stuff like "XBLA games can be ported by changing 4 lines of code" is complete BS. stuff ports between iphone, android, and almost every other smartphone platform ALOT easier, because they all use the same language, winmo does not. on the plus side, any xbox indie games WILL port very easily to it.

at anyrate, its great if your a Microsoft fanboy. for everyone else, just remember, its just like the iphone "walled garden" and apps will take time and money to be ported to it.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
hey matt87_50...huh? iPhone, android and every other smartphone porting is a lot easier because same languages? Where did you hear this?

Android, Java is the official supported, though linux apps can be written in C and C++ with a bit of know how.
iPhone, Objective C. Period. (yey for languages that nobody uses! Way to support interobability. Require complete re-writes for apps to be ported, and primarily only because of your damn EULA.)
Most every other smartphone, well, I believe blackberry is C++ with its own unique API which isn't compatible with android... Don't know of any other smartphones with fairly open APIs.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
can i say im a developer to take one of those phones even when i dont know how to place a wallpaper on my phone? :p

killmenow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
When is "The Fall", I live in a country that does not have a session call "fall", and if we did, it wouldn’t be at the same time as your, there are other courtiers other than the USA, you know.

- Now, I have seen some good moves forward from Microsoft in many areas in the last few years, WM6 seem to be still a struggle, so here’s hoping that MS will make a great move with MP7.

G

[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I cannot wait for this platform to be released. After what has happened with Apple in the past few weeks, it will be refreshing to go back to a platform that "just" works. *Apple has official destroyed all of my data even though it did a complete backup.. Apple's lack of allowing access to the file structure is another big turn off.[/citation]

If I recall correctly, windows phone 7 does not have file system access either.

lespy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
if microsoft can release the xbox360 before the other consoles and it still be one of the best consoles, imagine what they can do with a little more time and effort.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]hey matt87_50...huh? iPhone, android and every other smartphone porting is a lot easier because same languages? Where did you hear this?Android, Java is the official supported, though linux apps can be written in C and C++ with a bit of know how.iPhone, Objective C. Period. (yey for languages that nobody uses! Way to support interobability. Require complete re-writes for apps to be ported, and primarily only because of your damn EULA.)Most every other smartphone, well, I believe blackberry is C++ with its own unique API which isn't compatible with android... Don't know of any other smartphones with fairly open APIs.[/citation]

trust me, I make iphone games, objective c is built ON TOP OF c++, all you have to do is wrap all the objective C libraries (just input and music, audio and graphics, via openAL and openGL are already in C) something you would have to do anyway, in order to have a common api between platforms (an "Engine" if you like). I agree objective C is horrible. I still barely know what any of it means, but that hasn't stopped my writing full games, completely in c++.

I hear that android's NDK is acceptable for making games in, it is android's new c++ SDK (n for 'native'). this is something they released FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSE of making it easy for people to port their existing c++ code to the platform. I haven't done it my self, but I have heard from the maker of a big game that it takes literally a couple of days to port from iphone to android, using the NDK. its not ideal - if you were targeting android only from scratch, you should use java - but it will do.

many other smart phone makers, and their OSs, like symbian and Palms web os I believe also have changed from using obscure languages to using c++ and openGL, to make life easy for developers.

it is fine to have completely different APIs for each phone, as long as the language is the same. different APIs can just be wrapped around a common wrapper ONCE, so that no game code needs to be changed between platform. writing in a different language means THE WHOLE 10'000s of lines of game code need to be re-written, AND MAINTAINED, with any updates needing to manually be brought across to the other code base too!

I mean, I do hate Apple, and their dodgy attitude towards developers, culminating in that STUPID EULA rule (that unity seems to be magically immune to) but facts is facts: you can use c++ and openGL, thus portability is alot easier.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]trust me, I make iphone games, [/citation]

Woah, that is about all I read and had to stop. The fact is regardless if you can port it from Apple's iOS to any other or vice versa, Apple's API is still closed. You should know, you make games for the Iphone. When was the last time you were able to port you iPhone game to the Andriod phone or any other platform? It defeats the purpose in your argument doesn't it?

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i fail to see how windows phone 7 will be great... after there previous attempts... well im not too sure, though im sure they can IMO its a little too late android has come and taken over IMO. Dont get me wrong i used to love windows mobile when there was no iphone or android :p

it seems that android is far more friendlier to older phones. And we dont know how windows phone 7 will be like, of course there hardware limits will suck and being closed... you wont be able to put it on older hardware at all, unlike android that is being even ported to old windows mobile phones that have similar chip sets/cpus etc... that is pretty cool, good example att tilt

sultansulan

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Windows Phone Kin flopped, I think Wondows Phone will flop in its entirety. Even Symbian has more apps. Android and the iPhone is far far ahead. The interface is really ugly and slow.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
P[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I cannot wait for this platform to be released. After what has happened with Apple in the past few weeks, it will be refreshing to go back to a platform that "just" works. *Apple has official destroyed all of my data even though it did a complete backup.. Apple's lack of allowing access to the file structure is another big turn off.[/citation]
Using IMAP instead of POP and copying Photos manually should prevent That...

codewarriorfx

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ms_fanboy[/nom]Can it play Mafia II?[/citation]

LoL, unless it is ported to OpenGL ES 2.0 and with a Snapdragon or OMAP processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.